Vitamin B

Posted , 6 users are following.

Well,today I had the first of 3 of these and it really really hurtsad

Had it at local alcohol services because they thought I might be malnourished because so many alcoholics are (I'm 5"2 and 12 stone).....

But if they want to give me vitamins for free I'm all for it.Also had my 24 hour blood pressure thing on today and going back in the morning to the nurse at my surgery to get the results

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Hello Nicole,

So, I take it that the Vitamin B  was an injection... or ...intravenous... How come it hurt, so much ?  

I hope your B.P. readings are good, tomorrow.

Stay strong,

Alonangel 🎇

• Posted

IV delivery of vitamins is for emergencies, when a large dose of vitamins is needed rapidly and they don't want to wait for the liver to metabolise them. When patients are not eating or hepatic failure, or for some reason the body cannot process them.

If you had needed them, the time to have given them to you was the first day they saw you. I despair at these places. But you're getting your prescription and that is what is important, so keep them happy.

• Posted

My sentiments too. I'm 5' 8" and 11.5 stone. Is this a new thing. I take thiamine twice daily. I'm not malnourished, well no one has said I am at least!.

i presume it was an injection at the surgery, rather than intravenous ?

• Posted

It was at signpost,the local addiction centre.The needle was massive and it was given in the bum and took a good 60 seconds to go in.

I'm having another one today then the last on Friday,I'm presuming I will feel like superwoman by the end if it!

• Posted

Hi Nicole,

Good Luck for today and Friday's jabs.  I'm not usually scared of needles..... but yours sounds like "the exception to the rule"!

I hope to goodness that the vitamins do whatever they are supposed to.

Happy New Super Life !!

Alonangel 🎇

• Posted

The injection is called pabrinex for those that are interested
  • Posted

I remember why I assume it was IV. Taken from the Guys & St. Thomas NHS site about detoxing.

Pabrinex can be given intramuscularly in very exceptional

circumstances – each pair has a volume of

7mL.

It is extremely painful and the risk of haematoma is significant.

Under these circumstances it may only be possible to

give ONE pair (7mL) IM at a time and this dose

repeated as often as the patient will tolerate. Cons

ider reverting to intravenous therapy as soon as

possible.

I do worry about these alcohol recovery centres. It is only ever given like that for emergency detox usually in hospital, when time is of imporatance. Months after the event, oral medication is fine and preferred.

I'd be asking them, this is an IV medication, for emergency use, why am I being given it by IM, when it is not designed to be given that way and why are you not prescribing orally.

Apart from the very early days in hospital, when I probably wasn't compos mentis, I was not give IV or IM, the nurse came around every evening, witth the old pill trolley and gave out our prescribed pills. And then stood over us and watched us take them. I always used to call her Nurse Ratched.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.