Vitamin B's and Thiamin..when to stop.

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi! I went for an assessment at doctors yesterday, concerning repeat prescription. Probably because I take so many !!

The pharmacist has told me to very slowly cut down on antidepressants, which OK with me as I'm always tired.

Re vitamin B and Thiamine, she says I don't need to take them any more, which I have done for a few years as I'm not binge drinking anymore. I'm sure she said that too many of vit b can make you tired and weight gain. So I've stopped them and lactulose too be taken only if I go on a binge.

I eat healthy when I'm sober a take ABC plus multi vit and minerals. RDA as follows:-

Thiamin 127-percent    B2-114 percent.  B6-143 percent. 

Vit B 12- only 43 percent. Nearly all vits over 100 percent but Vit B 12. Does this matter? I've only thought about this since I got home.

I need to heal my body so wondered if anyone knows about this kind of thing.. Cheers xx

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

I think this might be a question for Paul.

All I would say, is that the level of some of these medicines are dependent on the state of people's liver and heath. There isn't a one size fits all.

• Posted

My caseworker wants me to have a course of 3 vitamin injections and my liver stats are fine so not sure why he wants me to have them as I'm well nourished.Think it's prob just standard at the place I go.
  • Posted

Thanks for reply RHGB and Nicole. Get what you're saying RHGB and Nicole, never heard of Drs giving vit injections but I'm sure it won't do any harm and be good for your organs which have obviously been under a lot of strain when drinking. I had them when in rehab and hospital. 

Another query if anyone has advice. Saturday and Sunday's I drink less than a bottle of wine with naltrexone. Should I take extra thiamine and vit b on those days ? X

• Posted

Vitamin injections are usually for people in a bad way, they give them in hospital, as IV gives the best result to get large amounts of vitamins directly into the system. Where as swallowing them, means they have to be metabolised by the system.

The vitamins for the weekend, really depend on the condition of your insides. If all organs are functioning undamaged and you eat properly, even when drinking, you should be fine. Taking them long term, is to repair the system where it can't cope for itself or you have a condition where it doesn't metabolise them properly.

• Posted

Funny how health concious we are when we aren't drinking but don't give a damn when we are pouring poison down us when we binge!!
    • Posted

LOL paper...so true....I did think about what I was doing to my body when I was drinking...but not as MUCH as I do now that I am not drinking.  As far as the vitamins...I was told to stop taking them as well because my B12 levels and Folic Acid levels were high...which can be just as bad as them being low.

​I don't think we can KNOW when we need them without constant blood work.  But, I think it would be fair to assume that if we went on a binge...didn't eat properly..didn't sleep properly...to take the vitamins for a week or so during recovery....and we would be all set.

​I know in detox they gave me the viatmins...and then I continued for almost 2 weeks when I got home...and then I had bloodwork and they said levels were too high...So maybe 2 weeks at the max for taking vitamins after a binge?  smile

• Posted

Thanks for that Misssy. That's what I thought and remember you saying once that if your pee is bright yellow, then you don't need strong  b anymore! Out of interest when your levels were too high, did they say what the side effects are for this? 

Hope you're having a peaceful day x

• Posted

blood clots

diarrhea

anxiety

frequent urination

​lack of coordination

insomnia

breathing problems

​all troubles I have with other conditions as well....but I have to say "frequent urination" has stopped.

• Posted

Thanks for letting me know. I've got the insomnia, extreme tiredness, weak bladder, plus anxiety at times. Hope these improve now xx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.