Vitamin B12

Posted , 4 users are following.

I can not take meds for my TN...between allergies and side effects.  I have been reading about Vitamin B12 defficiencies causing TN and would like to hear from anyone who has this and/or has tried taking B12 supplements.  Do you have to have a deficiency for the B12 to help?  Thank you.

1 like, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

Hello Karen

It seems unlikely that a vit deficiency would have any effect on the development of typical Type 1 TN, which is primarily caused by arterial compression of the Trigeminal Nerve. However, I know nothing about TN2 or TN related pathologies and so can't comment about the significance of the vit deficiencies or supplementations.

Do you have TN1?

Keep safe

Cheers

Big D

• Posted

Upon onset I presented as text book TN, the when on meds which I did not tolerate well my symptoms became more like ATN.  I am now on no meds and my pain is again more like text book TN.  The B12 is suppose to help the sheath over the nerve heal.

Thank you for your reply.

• Posted

Hi

I'm sorry to hear that, it must be awful. There are lots of tip etc on line, something's work for some and not for others but things are worth trying. Read carefully before doing anything though. I take a vitamin b supplement, there's no harm trying. Niacin is good too but I had to stop in high doses as it can give you very dry eyes. Avoid potassium rich food, bananas especially, it can cause flare ups and for some reason evening primrose oil is not good for it either. Also Accupuncture, if you go to someone good and experienced, can be helpful. There's lots of things to try and it is trial and error unfortunately but in your situation worth trying, but one thing at a time so you know what's helping. Best of luck x

• Posted

I agree with everything from PP just now and your comment about certain vits enhancing the repair of myelin sheaths. But if you've got a thumping great branch of the cerebellar artery (or similar) banging away on the root of that cranial nerve, then some improvement/enhancement of myelin repair would seem to be not too effective because the damage would be continuous.

Have you had a high quality MRI which might confirm your problem? If this shows that you've got compression then there are several options open to you. I'm sure your neurologist will sort that out for you. This is a hell-of-a condition to suffer from, and we all know that it takes over our lives.

I do hope you can get some resolution to this.

With very best wishes

Big D

• Posted

My MRI did not show a compression just the artery and nerve parallel to each other and the radiologist thought this might be causing my symptoms. No comment about the other side.
    • Posted

The text book quick electric shock, split second shocks...I have had only on my right side.  But on both sides I get needle prick like pains of varying degrees...some a 10!  And on both sides I get excrutiating "grabbing" pains that last a few seconds.  Sometimes the right side of my face is sore, like someone has just hit it very hard and this can last a few minutes to a few hours.  And then there are times....minutes, hours...but never days where there is no pain.

• Posted

When i had neropathy symptoms from another problem,i took b12 and thiamin daily.
  • Posted

Also look into gamma knife treatment. Non invasive,no knife involved,my friend had it in nov. Shes virtually free of pain,it is amazeing.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.