Vitamin B12 causing numbness in legs?

Posted , 7 users are following.

Well, I a desperate attempt to spped up my post neuralgia problems from Shingles, I decided to have Vitamin B12 injection plus a I had been taking Vitamin B12 sublinguial (under tongue): 15 mg tablets.

Now i have a very scary symptom of numbness and weakness in my legs and blood serum levels of Vit B12 are through the roof. 

Does anyonw know if this is related to overdosing on B12 and if so how long will it take for these symptoms to disapate.

Many thanks to everyone for any comments,

Rob

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

I read that it's easy to take too much Vit B12 as it's stored in the liver not excreted quickly like other vits. I think you should stop taking anything and see you doctor for advice on this.

• Posted

Dear Rob,

The numbness and weakness can be caused by an overdose of the B12, an allergy to the B12, or rapid withdrawal of the B12. In any case, your body is meant to have only a certain amount of B12. An overdose, although usually benign, can cause heart issues, and other issues.

Please know after my second stroke, my hematologist tested all my vitamin levels and I tested high, even though I eat a balanced diet with fruits and vegetables, and no supplements. The foods you eat are a better source of vitamins than any supplements, and you won't overdose.

I am sorry you have PHN.

Supplementation with high doses of any substance is toxic.

Best Wishes for the holidays

Merry Juliana

• Posted

Thanks Merry...do you know how long it will take to have the B12 eliminated out of my system and these symptoms resolve? 1-2 days or weeks?

Thanks

• Posted

Rob,

I do not know the answer, but I would avoid foods high in B12, such as dairy, meat, and poultry for a couple of weeks.

Also, drink large amounts of water daily to flush the B12 out of your system. B12 is a water soluble vitamin. Avoid any vitamin infused drinks.

Your symptoms should decrease gradually. The body stores B12 in the liver, but excretes the excess via the kidneys, so drink water...

BTW, the best way to get get vitamins is through food. It is most bioavailable, in its purest form, and you will never overdose on it.

Please let me know how you do.

Best Wishes

Merry Juliana

• Posted

Rob,  I've had numbness in my legs and feet some days more than others. I had shingles almost two years ago and it started slowly.  I don't know about my B12 levels now yet was also advised to take some OTC (I discontinued almost a month ago.)  Some days the numbness is less when I get out walking,; but then too much walking I am tired and have painful back muscles.  I contine having wierd HPN and with the other illnesses I have had it is difficult to ascertain what the underlying factors are.  Most likely PHN has many disguised symptoms and shingles is scarier than most.

I'm finding that stress is a factor too and am working on reducing these. Rest helps a great deal!

Merry Juliana likely has the answers to how long high doses of B12.

remain in storage in your body; also a licenced pharmacist should know.

I hope you are over this soon!

Avey

• Posted

I appears now reading my text I have been taking Vit B12 long.  It was taked sporadically and when advised by my oncologist or a family doctor.

Avey

• Posted

Hi Rob

When a person is suspected to have Pernicious Anemia, the person is given a mega load off B12...that person's urine is caught and saved for 24 hour.

This catch is then analyzed and the amount of B12 passed through the kidneys is determined...if the B 12 was secreted, that person has Pernicious Anemia, an inability to absorb the B12 through the digestive system...so they receive intramuscular injections of B12.

kind regards

• Posted

Hi Rob,

I just wondered if your symptoms had subsided? I'm experiencing the same. It's quite scary and I don't really know what to do other than cut out b12 completely.

Bea

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.