Vitamin B12 deficiency

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi everyone.

I read some time ago that heroin addicts were prone to having a B12 deficiency due to all the heroin use over many years.

I was addicted to a stupid amount of Oxycontin (1500mgs) per day over around 9years but managed to quit & haven't had any Oxycontin now since August 2016. I was given 115mils per day of methadone to stop withdrawals which I've now reduced to 30 miles per day & hope to be completely free of methadone by the end of this year.

It hasn't been plain sailing, depression, anxiety, vision problems, heart palpitations, feeling dizzy, no energy, no enjoyment in things I used to enjoy, not sleeping plus loads of other things etc etc etc!!

I had a full blood count blood test last week & it showed up a B12 deficiency, along with borderline anaemic, thyroid issues etc. So I had those specific blood tests again today.

What I wanna know is, from what I've read, I'm not surprised I'm B12 deficiencent, is this linked to the Oxycontin which I'm presuming it is & also will that account for the anaemia & thyroid issue also, again I'm guessing it is???

The nurse said if I do have B12 deficiency & have the injections to help, the change is incredible & she's had people saying they feel alive again.

All I'm asking I suppose is, which I guess it is (but the professionals will never admit it!!!) Are these issues I'm now having all linked to the many years of od'ing on the Oxycontin??

Thank you

Ritchie

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

Hi Ritchie,

You know my situation so no need to explain again. I started taking a B12 supplement about 6 weeks ago and have really noticed a difference in terms of energy. I don't know if I was low in B12 but from having horses in the past, when tbey had B12 injections they would be bouncing of the roof after them. So thought it worth a try. I use a forever living them tablets that all the B vitamins in them. Worth a try i guess. I've also been taking Ashwagandha for anxiety and cannot believe the difference. I keep an hour by hour diary of how I feel and Mark out of 1p my anxiety, appetite, motivation, sweats, depression and sleep. Since taking the forever them and Ashwagandha all have got better. Might be a placebo but who knows. I'm feeling better which is the main thing!

I'm interested to see what others say on this topic so I'll keep checking.

• Posted

Thanks Inky.

You're right, the main thing is you feel better after struggling for so long so who cares, as long as you feel better!!

I'm ringing Dr tomorrow for results so will let you know but I'll also check out what you said. I have a health shop close by so I'll call in next time I'm in town.

Thank you!

Take care

Ritchie xx

• Posted

Just had an update from Dr.

I am B12 deficiencent & have Pernicious anaemia.

Thyroid was normal & the other was folic acid which hasn't come back for some reason.

So, gotta have 3 B12 injections per week for 2 weeks starting Monday then 1 every 3 months after that for possibly rest of my life.

Oh the joys 😁

• Posted

Ritchie you will start to feel really good once they get into your system, good luck mate😊

• Posted

Thanks Caroline.

The nurse that took my tests to confirm it or not said I should feel so much better if confirmed once in my system. She said that those who have it come bouncing in for the injections saying they feel 100% much better.

It does really explain alot to be honest.

I think the Pernicious anaemia is due to the B12 deficiency also??

I've read where most heroin addicts also are B12 deficiencent hence the post. Just wanted to see if it was what I thought had caused it. All those years of being on enough Oxycontin to put an elephant to sleep!!! 😁

How are things with you my mate?

Hope you're doing ok!! xx

• Posted

Went to Boots to pick up my methadone earlier & asked if they did anything over the counter to help with B12, Because of this Pernicious anaemia I don't absorb B12 so they didn't do anything for it so I called at the local health shop & picked up a "Better you" B12 spray.. This spray goes right into your bloodstream so they said it will work wonders!??

Also picked up my B12 bottles to be injected into my arse starting Monday, im gonna look like a bloody pin cushion!!!

I can't even say I'm a walking disaster cus of my back 😁😁😁

• Posted

Ritchie have your vitamin d checked, mi e was really low (19) and I take d3 and it's made a difference to muscle fatigue and tiredness 😊

• Posted

Thank you Caroline.

I had a full blood count blood test & these are what showed up. So I had retests on B12, Thyroid & something else that I don't remember!!

After ringing just my Thyroid is ok, the others not back & he wants to talk to me about B12.

Got an appointment for tomorrow about B12 so we shall see what he says.

Thank you

Ritchie xx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.