Vitamin B12 & Folate Deficiancy

Posted , 2 users are following.

I have been disgnosed with Vit B12 and Folate issues.

I have been given Vit B12 and Folic Acid tablets. My GP also mentioned me having a camera down the throat to see whats happening in my stomach. I have for years suffered with indigestion/heart burn and altho mostly have constipation some months ago had a colonoscopy as I had had diarreaoh for 9-10 weeks, nothing sinister was found thank fully and we put it down to Sertraline I had been taking.

I wanted advice of how ling it takes to start feeling better I have been taking the suppliments for 1 week now

I have also got Heamochromostosis and didnt for the life of me think with an iron overload I could be lacking in anything!

1 like, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

There is a complex interaction between folic acid, vitamin B12 and iron. A deficiency of one may be "masked" by excess of another so the three must always be in balance. Folic acid works closely with vitamin B12 in making red blood cells and helps iron function properly in the body. 

As to "how long" a lot will depend on the severity and longevity of the deficiencies and whether or not your "rummy troubles" are causing an absorption problem.

What sort of diet do you eat? - animal products for B12 and Vegetables for Folate.

I am not a medically trained person but have had P.A. (a form of B12 deficiency) for over 45 years.

• Posted

Clive thank you for your time to reply.

I don't have a great diet with regards to vegetables. But do eat salads.

I believe I have had a folate deficiency for some 10 years or more as was given folic acid and told to take for 2 months only.

I then went back to see the doctor as was still so tired. I was given many many blood tests and nothing came up, thyroid and diabetes, to name a few and eventually after many visits and tests I was diagnosed with hemochromstosis. After 2 years of regular venesections although feeling much better was still feeling tired. Which now bring me to lacking in vitamin b12 and folate

• Posted

You can buy folic acid cheaply across the counter at any chemist and nowadays many breakfast cereals are fortified with it.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.