Vitamin B12 very low

Posted , 2 users are following.

I was feeling quite tired and gone for the blood test. my vitamin B12 level found very low nearly 100ng. I am not a vegetarian and my food habit and everything is normal. My GP told me to take vitamin B12 injection for couple of weeks and then afterwards every 3months for 7 injection.Now a days I am much worried whether I need to go to the gastroenterologist to check up for the absopption lining. what should I do?

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hi dhruba,

It seems a lot of doctors are not so knowledgeable.  Your doctor should be checking for reasons why you are not absorbing.  My advice is to find a doctor who is knowledgeable.  I am lucky to have found a doctor who is constantly monitoring me, found the reasons why I was not absorbing etc.  I was injections once weekly for over a month.  I was improving but it was so slow i am now on 3 times per week injections.  We will test again soon to see my levels and go from there.  My doctor is also doing acupuncture with me.

Bets of luck.

• Posted

Hi Ian,

thanks for your information. In my case, my blood test was done 2 months ago and after looking on the report Dr suggested me to take vitamin B12 injection once every week for 3 weeks and after that once in every 3 weeks for two weeks. But I requested GP to have further investigation and they suggested me to have another blood test for auto immune check and result came with negative. After this I requested to refer me to the gastroenterologist. GP says he is gonna make a referral for that. Still nor sure what would be the best result.

• Posted

Hard to know, i have been to gastroenterologist before and prescribed me esomeprazole which in fact blocks the absorption of b12.  The doc i am with now has changed my diet and I am being treated with supplements.  you could be on the right road, maybe see what the gastroenterologist says.
    • Posted

I am waiting for appointment letter from hospital and don't know how long would it need to see the real identifier. let's be positive.

Thanks.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.