Vitamin B2 and migraine prevention

Posted , 8 users are following.

Has anyone used a high dose of vitamin B2 to reduce the frequency of their migraines.  There are a few supplements at the chemist that have vitamin B two, magnesium and feverfew in them. Has anyone had any success? 

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Hi Lizzie,

I tried magnesium and riboflavin (B2) for about 6 months at the beginning of last year, at first I thought it was doing some good but in the end I realised it wasn't, maybe the placebo effect.

I told my neuro and he said that they may work but it has to be in conjunction with other meds and in his experience there is not a lot of success.

YL

• Posted

I take 400 mg magnesium  and 200 mg B2. Over time my migraines seemed to have lessened even with being off of amitriptyline
  • Posted

Hi

Try Dolovent capsules. Recommended by Migraine Action here in the UK. I found them helpful.

Best wishes

Sandra

• Posted

I have tried all 3 supplements but none of them have helped. However, I have had success with a supplement called Channels Flow by Health Concerns. Take 2-3 tablets twice a week, preferably 2-3 hours before or after you eat. Hope this helps.
  • Posted

After the triptans stopped working for me, I went the natural route. My concoction is:

magnesium glutamate

feverfew

butterbur (seasonal)

5 htp. 

I tried the B2 and it seemed to help but I was already taking these other things I stopped taking it. You have to experiment and find what combination works for you. Don't give up. I also supplement with progesterone as I tend to be estrogenic for some reason. Helps balance the hormonal fluctuations. Best to you and keep us posted. 

• Posted

I also take progesterone and it really helps. I don’t really have any specific triggers because I pretty much have a headache 24/7 because hormonal imbalances just exacerbate it.
  • Posted

Hi there

The neurologist suggested that I take a high dose, 400 mg daily of vitamn B2 but to allow 3 months to take effect. I am on my 4th week, so no improvement yet, but I will give it the full time.

• Posted

Hang in there . I also take 400mg  of magnesium  and 200 mg B2 every day

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.