vitamin b3 for glaucoma

Posted , 7 users are following.

Just saw this on tv. 

Vitamin b3 a possible treatment for glaucoma.

Anyone have any info on the dosages?

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

If what you saw on TV was an infomercial forget it. There are many scams out there. Check with your opthalmologist.
    • Posted

It was a short segment on the news. Apparently they did tests on mice and vitamin b3 supplementation prevented glaucoma!!!
    • Posted

they had 2 sets of mice each with a predisposition to developing glaucoma, a high percentage of the ones treated with b3 did not develop glaucoma while the ones not treated with b3 did. Ive been looking everywhere for the dosages but cant find any info. If you google vitamin b3 and glaucoma there are a lot of articles
    • Posted

I think something that may help prevent further damage is great news!!!
  • Posted

I believe the hope is that the b3 will help protect the optic nerve and ganglion cells from further damage, there is also the hope that it may recover injured ganglion cells that have not yet completly died off.

Since getting diagnosed with advanced glaucoma at 35 years old 7 years ago, 2 trabecular surgery over the years and needling of the blebs, I totally changed my diet, lots of salad including peppers and spinach leaves etc, fish high in omega 3 and red bush tea that has many health benefits, so far my field test have slightly improved year on year, and this time around I received a 5 year DVLA medical licence. I understand the optic nerve damage can not be restored but do believe you can recover sick and injured parts of the nerve.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.