Vitamin b6 toxicity

Posted , 21 users are following.

After having symptoms of fatigue, weakness, numbness in hands, heavy legs, brain fog, lack of concentration, lightheaded and muscle weakness for 9 months with no answers.

A doctor had some sense to test my b6 after describing my symptoms to her. My level was at 47 (3-30) from only taking a multivitamin with 24mg of b6. I've learned that b6 is a water soluble from food intake but not from supplements and it can store toxic levels because your body can't get rid of it fast enough.

There is not much the doctors can do but advise you to stop taking your multivitamin. There is not much information online either. Has anyone gone through this? What were your symptoms? How long to recover?

Any advice or information will be greatly appreciated.

1 like, 28 replies

28 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

I've had the same symptoms (and more) for 2.5 years and just got a level of 48 (2-21 normal range) for B6. In addition to your symptoms listed above, I have numb shins, unresponsive ankles, slack muscles in all limbs, less control of arms, hands, muscle loss, swollen veins, hair loss, stomach troubles, varied levels of anxiety, heart flops and rapid heart rates, tinnitus, loss of balance, flashing lights and patterns, dizziness, and fatigue. These began suddenly.

A doctor told me this 48 level could cause these symptoms in some people but it wasn't a sure thing. I'll add here that, from what I understand in a limited way, a vitamin B12 deficiency, vitamin D deficiency, types of neuropathy, and anemias can also cause the symptoms you mentioned (and most of my added ones here).

Thank you for your info about B6 being water-soluble from food but not from supplements! Et cetera! Please do keep us advised as to howyerdoin' these days, and what you did to banish your bad symptoms. They sound awful. Thank you!

• Posted

I still have my symptoms, I didn't know for some people who have been b6 toxic, foods high in b6 will excaberate their symptoms again. I was improving until I stared taking bee pollen for natural b vitamins but it turns out it has 5mg of b6.

I stopped taking it now my symptoms have lessened. So when blood serum goes down doesn't mean we're in the clear, not even with food. So be careful. I think maybe once we have b6 toxicity just maybe our bodies become sensitive to b6.

I have also been trying to raise my b12 up to see if it will help my symptoms. I heard anything below 550 is deficient. I was at 425, I think I will aim for 800-900 and see what happens.

I hope you have gotten better. Keep me posted on your progress. Take care.

• Posted

Hey all!

I just got test results back and am high in B6 as well (somewhere in the 70s). I was tested following increasing problems in balance and icy numbness in my legs by my neurologist. A few months ago I was started on a homocysteine response blend by one of my docs. It had 25 mg of B6 in it as well as folate.

Now we know that I have a compound heterozygous MTHFR mutation. Uh, whoops? How does that mutation affect my body's use of B6? And getting it out of my system? I can barely walk sometimes. And while I have other factors that influence that (POTS, MCAS, EDS), the whole B6 toxicity can't be helping.

Thanks guys!

• Posted

I drink a course of vitamins of group B. There are no side effects.
    • Posted

Hi bettermonica

I assume u had Vitamin B6 toxicity? I think I have it.  Mine was high 39.3 and normal high was 21.  Not sure if that constitutes toxicity but I have all symptoms.  Did you recover and if so what did you do? I don’t think I have the MTHRFR gene

• Posted

Reading your post/question helps validate what I have been feeling off and on for 2 years. Have you had any luck reducing your symptoms?

Last year it increasing got worse, and every time that I feel at my worst, it feels like I have the flu but no fever. I have been to the ER, and my doctor numerous times, and I have seen a Homeopathic doctor who put me on a B5 & B6 combo because it seemed that I was having symptoms indicating low B6. I had been diagnosed with pernicious anemia in 2015.

My latest body "crash" ( as I refer to them) was May 2019. I have not been able to recover and am bedridden about 60-70% every day. I finally convinced my doctor to run my B's. My B1 was >1200! And my B6 is 56. I had NO idea high B levels could do this to a person's body if they are water soluble.

The heaviness in my head is the worst, then the fatigue, and chronic insomnia, and I had disabling vertigo for 32 days straight. I read that the symptoms of deficient B6 are similar to the toxic levels of B6.

My doctor does not feel that B6 is causing all of this. Any advice based on your personal experience, especially since it's been quite some time since you found out?

Thank you

• Posted

Hi there,

i know your post was 3 years ago but do you have any update? did your symptoms ever completely go? how long were you taking the 24mgs? i'm currently going through the same thing.

thanks,

B

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.