Vitamin D

Posted , 4 users are following.

ive been told today I need vitamin D tablets which my doctor has done for me, my question is besides fish and things like all bran what can I eat to help with this as I don't like either. Thank you

1 like, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

If you are taking vit D tablets at an adequate dose there is no need for you to force anything down if you don't like them! I love fish, oily fish particularly but even so it isn't enough to raise my vit D level significantly unless I were to eat a very large salmon steak every day! 

While Allbran original has added vit D (not all sorts do), that is no different to the tablets your doctor has given you, it is a supplement. You might just as well take a tablet that slips down easily as eat things you don't like and, in the case of salmon, costs a fortune these days! 

Other dietary sources are meat, egg yolk and some mushrooms but you normally wouldn't expect to get more than 10% of your vit D from diet. It is recommended we spend 10-15mins in the midday sun 3 times a week without any sunscreen and with face, shoulders and arms exposed. Providing your "skin factory" is working then that should produce enough vit D. But if it doesn't - take a tablet.

So don't worry too much.

• Posted

Did your doctor prescribe vit D tablets for you or did they say buy them over the counter? Do you know what your vit D reading is? They reckon around twenty five per cent of the UK population are deficient in vit D.
    • Posted

That is probably a major underestimation! Even here, on a level with Turin they think it is more like 80%!
  • Posted

You could eat some foods fortified with Vitamin D like dairy products, orange juice, soy milk, and cereals.plus Beef liver. Cheese and Egg yolks.

Read the nutition information on packaging.

• Posted

This only applies in the uSA. Other than some cereals (by no means all), none of those foods are fortified with vit D in any European country. 
    • Posted

Sorry - I should have said "breakfast cereals" e.g. "All Bran" inter alia

• Posted

That was what I meant - not all breakfast cereals are fortified with vit D. They may be in the USA - they aren't in Europe. 

• Posted

Other Fortified Cereals High in Vitamin D (%DV per 3/4 cup): Total Raisin Bran(17%), Kellogg's Raisin Bran (15%), Kellogg's All Bran (9%), Cheerios, Kellogg's All-Bran Complete Wheat Flakes & Special K (7%).and Weetabix Protein

• Posted

No point telling me - I can't and wouldn't eat any of them if you paid me to! I'm allergic to something in the structure of wheat starch!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.