Vitamin d

Posted , 4 users are following.

Vitamin d 23 . started taking 10000iu daily with 400 mg magnesium. Do I have to take vitamin k also. is it very important?

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

I am intrigued to know, please tell. Why do you feel the need to have to take vitamins and other supplements at all. What would happen if like the majority of people in the world you ate food and obtained everything you need from that source, 

You do know don't you, that all you are doing is producing very expensive urine. Selling vitamins and mineral supplements is a billion £$ industry. Very few people indeed are short of vitamins, minerals and other trace elements, and unless you have legitimate symptoms or some rare disease that prevents their absorption, I would be willing to bet that you probably don't need them either. Just another member of the worried well I would hazard a guess.

• Posted

I'm not sure, I did recently read a book on vitamin k, but someone was taking very high dosage of vitamin d all the time with vitamin k, I would ask your doctor, but you are doing right by taking magnesium, my levels were 17 ,and for a few months was taking a lot of vitamin d, but started to have what felt like missed heart beats, later realised high levels of vitamin d can zap your magnesium levels.

• Edited

Smita,

Your latest post threw some light on the subject of you interest. I intimated in my post that vitamins, minerals and other trace elements were abundant in the average diet. Only a specific blood test may reveal if you are deficient in any of these essential substances but as soon as I hit send I realised a huge omission,

I had intended to deal with the exception but forgot. If you are an older person, are dark skinned, ware clothing covering most of your body, live in the Northen hemisphere, then if you are any or all of the above you wil probably need vit d as a supplement, particularly in the winter. 

It has to do with sun exposure, a dificult compromise between sun induced skin damage, and getting enough vit d. 

Almost all the medical authority one reads in recent times agree, the dosage is something they tend to disagree upon.

There is plenty of evidence on the subject, but stick to reliable medical sources, and don't be tempted by anything published by people selling vitamins.

• Edited

Neither vit D nor vit K are "abundant" in the western diet - vit D is only abundant in a diet with extreme amounts of oily fish etc such as the Inuit traditionally ate. In the western diet less than 10% of the requirement of vit D can be obtained in diet. Vit K2 is found in fermented foods, so plenty in the Asian diet, in natto for example, and fair amounts in sauerkraut provided it is raw, ie. non-pasteurised/heat treated.

Both vit D and vit K2 are felt to be essential for the optimal absorption of calcium and formation of bone. I assume this is what smita is looking at. Vit K1 is different - and care must be taken with it when you are on certain anticoagulant medication. Like the B vitamins, vit K is not all the same.

• Posted

It has taken a couple of years unfortunately to feel better, I still have a few aches and pains but nothing like I was experiencing at the time, overall I feel much better now

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.