Vitamin D

Posted , 9 users are following.

I am fairly newly diagnosed with Osteoporosis, I have just been reading about taking vitamin D, should I be getting these on prescription?

I can't take Calcium supplements because they give me kidney stones

0 likes, 12 replies

12 Replies

• Posted

Your blood tests show if you need vitamin D and how much to take based on your levels. You can usually buy over the counter depending where you live.

Vitamin K2 is also good to take as it aims the calcium onto your bones and out of your arteries.

Another one to consider is magnesium as many people have been found to lack that who have osteoporosis.

Then your diet can also support your bones by having key products like yoghurt, leafy greens, prunes, avocados, bony broth and basically a nutrient rich diet.

Exercise is important as well and needs to be weight bearing. so, walking, dancing, weights, etc are all helpful.

Try to find the cause of your osteoporosis and address that as well.

• Posted

Do you have more information on your kidney stones from taking Calcium, dosages etc and what you actual Vit D level is? Vit D is required to transport Calcium, however Vit K2 is required to transport it to the bones and not the kidneys or arteries. As noted by other poster there are a number of minerals required to build bones including Calcium. Do some Google searches and look at other posts here and you should find a list. There are also Calcium calculators where you input your diet and it calculates hom much Calcium you get from food, which is better than getting it from supplements. Vit D dosages seem to vary a lot, suggest you google recommended dosages for Vit D. Vit D does not come much from diet, but careful sunlight exposure gives a good boost, however most peoplpe also supplement even if they get some sunshine, especially in wintertime.

• Posted

Hi, all I know is that when I had my first kidney stone removed I was told it was made of calcium.

I don't know what my Vit D level is

• Posted

Hi Janet, if you have had a dexa scan and its given a diagnosis of osteopenia then you need to go and speak to your GP he will do blood tests to try and work out what your vitamin D and levels calcium levels are.

Once this has been established you can then be prescribed the appropriate treatment.

It doesn't nescassarrilly mean your vitamin C levels are high because you have stones but you want know till they do tests.

The other answer is right, you can turn this round before it turns into osteoporosis

• Posted

Hi Janet, Calcium oxalate stones are caused from too much oxalate.... not too much calcium. Several articles on line state to actually increase calcium in your diet to prevent these types of stones. Foods to avoid are the ones high in oxalates like spinach, chard, soy, peanuts, sodas, processed salts, wheat, and vitamin C supplements. Dietary C is okay especially drinking lemon water.

Calcium supps do come with their own issues... I prefer getting all my calcium from foods, and do not supplement it. I take magnesium, K2, Vit D (3000), Omega 3's, collagen peptides, and drink herbal infusions of nettles and oatstraw daily for loads of important trace minerals like silica and boron, and eat a balanced organic non processed diet.

Get a full endocrine work up to make sure theres no underlying medical cause for your bone loss, and also do your research!!! AND EXERCISE!!!

Sharon

• Posted

Hi Janet,

1st - Since I am not a doctor, I do not want to give you any bad advice. There is enough of that in the legitimate medical world. Vitamin D is more readily absorbed when taken in an emulsion form under your tongue. Vitamin D pills that go through the digestive system are not as effective. Have your doctor check your D levels with blood work to see if you even need some type of supplement. If your D level is "Low", then you could ramp up the amount of D several ways. Sunshine is supposed to provide us with Vitamin D. For many, that is not a viable option due to family history of skin cancers. I live in Arizona and avoid the sun because I have had several pre-cancerous skin surgeries already. Another source for Vitamin D is from food. Again, that may not be adequate since so many people diet and cannot absorb enough Vitamin D through their diet. Therefore, a supplement can be a good option for a mild Vitamin D "deficiency. I buy an emulsion from a company called Biotics Research. Their emulsion is tasteless and easy to use. A bottle last me about a year and costs under $20.00 USD.

https://www.bioticsresearch.com/node/1570

Since you cannot take Calcium supplements, then it is really important to have adequate D in order to absorb the calcium from the food you eat.

If you have not investigated HRT delivery by pellets, then you should look into that option. My osteoporosis has been reversed by receiving pellets instead of using other delivery methods. For years, my bone density decreased until I started using pellets. Now my bone density is as good as 20 years ago when I had been diagnosed with osteopenia. I cannot do much walking due to painful osteoarthritis. Here is a link to read about HRT by pellets.

https://www.biotemedical.com/women-hormone-imbalance/pellet-therapy-benefits/osteoporosis-therapy

Prescriptions for treating osteoporosis like Boniva, Reclast, Prolia, Fosamex etc have terrible side effects and cause the production of the wrong type of bone. Only HRT by pellets can restore a woman's bone density without dangerous side effects. Hopefully, you could be a candidate for that type of treatment.

Best wishes for your health.

Sincerely,

JoAnn

• Posted

HI Joanne -

so happy to see your post about HRT pellets i have been diagnosed with OP and have been on the CLIMARA patch which is estrogen and progesterone and a bio-identical testosterone cream for 3 years My OP has not gotten worse, but it hasn't improved. i just had a second surgery on a broken wrist and my surgeon said my bone looked like swiss cheese.

How much have your T-scores changed using the pellets? Thinking this may be a good option for me rather than the Forteo my doctor is pleading with me to take and I am very afraid of,. I would live to hear your thoughts.

• Posted

oops my above message was for QuiltyDiva

• Posted

Hi Janet,

Difficult question, I have been taking vitamin D for a long time, if fact since before the osteoporosis diagnosis, I get it from Holland and Barrett.

I haven't been offered it on prescription only advised where to buy it but I think it should be on prescription. I won't ask for a prescription now because I have been buying it and my doctor knows it.

I certainly would ask the question at your surgery or maybe at your pharmacy.

If you are not given a prescription I would recommend getting it from Holland and Barrett it is not too expensive and is often on their buy one and get a second one for a penny deal.

Hope this helps

john

• Posted

Thankyou for the advice, I will enquire about getting on prescription because I am a pensioner and every little helps

• Posted

Yes it is worth trying, I am also a pensioner so I know how difficult it is making ends meet

Best Wishes

John

• Posted

I currently take a prescription for 50,000 units of Vitamin D and over the counter of 2,000 units daily. Because my levels were below 30. Now my levels are over 80.

My nephrologist suggested this amount. Originally he suggested 50,000 , Monday, Wednesday and Friday, then twice a week. Now I take 50,000 once a week. I dont have osteoporosis, but I have osteopenia. I have been on this high dose for over 6 years. I am male and 67 years old. But I also have 47 chromosomes and my testosterone level is 34 without supplemental testosterone injections. After the injection, my level peaks to over 200. HRT--hormonr replacement therapy (testosterone) prevents osteoporosis.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.