Vitamin D deficiency

Posted , 14 users are following.

Hi.  I was diagnosed hypothyroid about three years ago and have been on varying doses of Levothyroxine ever since.  I was eventually fairly stable, (three-monthly blood tests) but then a lot of the original symptoms returned - utter fatigue and lethargy, painful and aching joints, weight gain, dry brittle hair - and palpitations on a daily basis etc etc.  I went back to my GP and said I wanted to have a moan about my thyroid because I was feeling so rubbish.  She sat back in her chair, said 'Moan away' and listened.  At the end of my whinge, she said she wanted me to have further blood tests to check my Cortisol and Vitamin D levels.  The Cortisol result was fine but she said I was quite badly deficient in Vitamin D.  For those who don't know, some hypothyroid people cannot absorb enough of this Vitamin (which I believe is actually a hormone) from natural sources.  So I immediately started a high dosage, six-week course of Ergocalciferol (Vit D + calcium) and within a few days I was feeling so much better.  The palpitations had stopped, my joint pain was easing and the extreme fatigue too.  Now, six weeks on, the doc has put me on a maintenance dose of Vit D and calcium, I am feeling so much better and my hair has even started growing again.  One thing that hasn't changed is my weight but that's an issue for another day.  The reason for this post is to say - if you are hypothyroid, taking levothyroxine and still feeling rubbish, consider asking your doc to have you tested for Vit D deficiency.  It might not be the answer, but it's certainly worth a try.  

4 likes, 26 replies

26 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Same here Tris. After 3 years of feeling dreadful, they have just discovered my vitamin d levels are low. High dose for 8 weeks then going on a maintenance dosage. Fingers crossed I will feel some normality again soon.
    • Posted

I very much hope that you will Rachel, and pretty soon too.  Please keep us posted.
  • Posted

Hello there, 

This is my first reply on here, I am so glad to have seen this I have also been diagnoised with low VitD and have been taking it since and feel and look so much better, I also have B12 injections every 3 months, I am not sure if this is to do with my Thyroid problem but I do not absorb this either, I recommend everyone gets this checked too, the B vits are to do with the nervous system and I felt awful even though I was on my thyroid meds. It seems an on going list on what our bodies cannot do due to a small gland, I just want to feel like I did 18 years ago ! a long shot I know but every little helps.

Thank you for sharing 

Gill

• Posted

Hi Gillygx.  It seems that being diagnosed with an under- or over-active thyroid is just the tip of the iceberg and it's a disease which can causes a lot of other problems.  I have a great GP who does listen to me, but I know that other people aren't as lucky.  However the general impression I get is that GPs start off by treating only the thyroid issue and aren't too bothered about getting other things checked unless pressured.  I don't think any of us will ever feel 'normal' again, but we can try to get as close to it as we can. Tris
    • Posted

Apparently to absorb thyroxine properly one needs ferritin > 70 and good levels of vitamin D, vitamin B12 and folate.
  • Posted

Hello Tris132,

How you feeling now is everything ok with you?

• Posted

Hello amibio

I'm feeling pretty good at the moment thank you - well, as good as I ever will do! Apart from feeling tired most of the time, I'm not experiencing under under-active thyroid symptoms, so the medication must be working, and the Vit D supplement seems to be working well so I'm not getting any joint pains (apart from my elbow which I'm beginning to suspect is due to other causes).  The heart palpitations are under control too.  How are you, and how are you feeling?

• Posted

I'm waiting for the results of Vit D test and (ridiculously?) hoping to be deficient so that I can perhaps get rid of the symptoms. Thank you for this useful post. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.