Vitamin d deficiency

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi everyone, I am 19 year old girl. 3 weeks ago I was diagnosed with vitamin d deficiency and been prescribed 60000 iu once a week. Since then my symptoms are going worse , I have numbness and tingling sensation all day long. Walking has become difficult, I have stabbing pain in my feets, my hands and legs goes numb , my body aches all over I get dizzy and have worst headache now affecting my vision my ears also keeps ringing. My body twitches and

all bones hurt badly. I feel so down when will I feel better? I also had mri done of head and spinal cord , everything was clear. Nothing seems to be helping, anyone who has vitamin d deficiency or going through it please reply.

0 likes, 13 replies

13 Replies

• Posted

How low was your vitamin d levels you never said did yoou have any of these symproms before you started the vitamin d sypplement
    • Posted

My vitamin d is 10.75 ng ml, I had tingling and crawling sensation in hands and legs and itching in my face,before. But now everything is worse.
    • Posted

It may be your dosage is too high speak to doctor about lowering it. I had to stop them altogether as they made me feel so bad all the symptoms that you have but I ended up not being able to walk at all was taken into hospital for the same scans as you had a various blood tests, everything came back normal.That was way back in April I had to depend on the sun so everyday no matter how bad I felt I went out in the garden for half an hour each day to get my vitamin d. It was a slow process but got my bloods checked in September was back to normal. I get them checked in December again just to make sure they have not dropped drastically but I still feel fine so should be ok. There was another thing I went to sunbeds you must check it is the right ones should have all the ibformation at your local one.I know a lot of people will say that you should not go on sunbeds but it was the oncology doctor that I seen at the hospital who told me to as I couldn't take medication you start of at 3mins a week your local sunbed shop will be able to keep you right on that as well. But first check with your doctor about lower the medication I hope this helps and there is light at the end of the tunnel xxx 

• Posted

Thanks for replying. I am in 3 weeks of taking vitamin d tablets, I still feel worse. I have been also getting lot of sun exposure so maybe its toxic? Someone has suggested me to take magnesium and b2 along with calcium and vitamin d . I don't know what to do . Did you have problems with vision too?

• Posted

It didn't affect my vision I was in a lot of pain and  and exhausted I have heard about the magnesium and b2 but if your levels are fine youdont need them. Too much of these can cause other problems.I never asked what country you were in for to get the sun,and what your skin colour was. I am fair skinned so I get the sun easily through my skin, I never ever sat in the sun that's how my levels got so low.Go back to your gp and mention magnesium and b2. There are other things that should be checked to make sure you are not low your doctor should have checked everything when he or she found your vitamin d levels were low, That's not to say that anything else in your body will be low I was ok. My levels wer sitting at 18 should be between 50 and 75. I hope all this helps don't despair you will get better xxx

• Posted

I am from UAE I have olive skin tone. I used to avoid sun all the time but since diagnosis I try to spend more time sunbathing, I am also vegetarian so I may have other deficiencies, possibly. Thanks again for replying.
    • Posted

Hi there again, so I asked my gp for lowering my dosage or prescribe me magnesium or b2 instead he referred me to psychiatrist who prescribed me anxiety medication , they think I have anxiety and doesn't seem to think the problem is with vitamin d.

• Posted

Perhaps it might be wise to find out whether you have vitamin D deficiency or not before taking pills for anxiety which can also have side effects and dependency problems. I am not a doctor so cannot say  anything but if it was me I think I would seek a second opinion. Best of luck Rhodri.
    • Posted

would do as rhodri21244 says go to another doctor and get  your vitamin d checked again. I don't understand where they are getting the anxiety problems from. I wouldn't start taking the medication for anxiety it is highly addictive I know because I have been on it . Wish I could help more good luck x

• Posted

I have to go to work just now but will be back in the house at 1.00 will get back to you now I was the same as you but my levels are back to normal now will let you know how I got there xxx
  • Posted

I am 70 year old male and went through the same thing. From routine blood test I was found to have vitamin D deficiency. I was given a ten week course of 40,000 per week . I felt worse each week and gave up after six . I went back to the doctor who said that it was ok to stop as after six weeks I should have made up the deficiency. I mentioned my experience on Patience and got several replies from others who had gone through the same problem . You are far from alone. Perhaps you should go back to your doctor and see whether yo can reduce the dosage. Rhodri.
    • Posted

Thank you for responding . I might possibly go to GP next tuesday and ask to lower my dose.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.