Vitamin D deficiency

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi all,

ive decided to post here as I’ve had a health issue for 5 months now which I’m hoping I’m finally getting an answer to. I just thought I’d ask here as I’ve had my diagnosis however I’m still unsure if this is the underlying probleSo going back five months I had an issue where I was having the following symptoms

- feeling tired

- weak

- palpitations

- shakes

- generally unwell.

I was on holiday at the time so did my upmost to get through till I got home however on one of the days I felt so weak that I thought i was going to pass out. I fact it got to a point where I ended up going to sit in a toilet whilst my partner and two sons walked around the place we were. I honestly thought my time alive was up - which is a bit extreme. For the duration of the holiday my partner had to drive whilst I slept to get energy back.

Weeks later I’d managed to get a doctors appointment. I had a full blood test and it’s come back as me having a Vitamin D deficiency. My doctor didn’t go in to great detail other than it was at 14.9% which means nothing to me. The doctor has prescribed me some tablets and I’m to take 1 tablet a week for 15 weeks. The strength of these is 20,000ui. If that means anything to anyone.

Anyway I’m on week 4 now and I’ve not felt too bad for 2 weeks or so and then this past week I keep having these weird feelings still as well as the shakes. The weird feelings are really indescribable. Just generally unwell and don’t want to do anything. 

Before the doctor told me I had this deficiency I was convinced I had something else (Hypoglycaemia).

Does it all add up to you with the symptoms I’m having? Also how long would you expect until my vitamin d is raised to a healthy amount?

Sorry for the long post.

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hi there,

I hope you feel well very soon. 

First let me tell you that I feel you, I really do. I’ve been there, so hang in there, there’s light at the end of the dark tunnel. Your courage is an inspiration, and I assure you, it gets better. 

Correcting your vitamin d3 deficiency the right thing to do, since its symptoms are horrible if left untreated. You’re on the right track. However, the reason why you’ve been feeling worse on vitamin d is most likely because supplementing with vitamin d has depleted your stores of other co-factors (magnesium and vitamin k2) since these two are absolutely necessary for the metabolism of vitamin d. What you’re going through is most likely caused by an underlying deficiency of magnesium that was excerbeted by vitamin d3. 

Feel well soon.

MrLeaf

• Posted

Hi

I can’t tell you if that’s your only problem but I can say that I had the exact same symptoms, diagnosed late Jan with vit d deficiency, and after high dose supplements am starting to feel much better.  

Hope that helps reassure you.

• Posted

I have to say - 14.9% means nothing to me either! It should be given as a figure with units like ng/ml or nmol/l. 

Your symptoms are very non-specific so it is probably as well to give it a few weeks and see if you start to feel better with the supplement - it isn't a very high dose (more usual for severe deficiency would be 3 tablets a week for 8-10 weeks) but it is about the same as my husband was given for his extremely low vit D level and his level came up to acceptable in about 3 months. He'd never had any symptoms though so there was nothing to improve - although his blood pressure did go down and that can be raised in low vit D.

It's difficult to say - low vit D can be just low or it can be a symptom of something else as well. So  if the episodes don't improve - push your doctor a bit to look further. But usually people complain of muscle and joint aches, rather than waht you describe. 

And if you feel that ill again, wherever you are, call the emergency services. They will check several relevant things on the spot which will give a clue as to what it is. It might have been a virus - but it might not have been.

• Posted

I am new here too, just been told about vit D deficiency, I was given a figure of 17, but not sure if that was a % or whatever. The GP said it needs to be at least 25, but reading around, it should be even higher than that.  I have been given Vit B 20,000ui one per day for 15 days, then to stay on a maintenance dose, and go back to the GP after a month to see how things are. 

I am trying to find out more about Vit K2 and magnesium that Mrleaf suggests, I am looking into what doses I should be aiming for to counteract the effects of the vit D supplements.

Its a week since your first post, how are things, do you feel any improvement yet?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.