Vitamin D deficiency

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hello,

Just wondering if anyone has had Vitamin D deficiency and how long did it take you to recover?

My story is a little complicated. Three months ago I got a viral infection (might be Covid-19, not tested). Had fever for a few days, wet phlegm, and developed insomnia from day #5.

For the next 2-3 months I felt fatigued and couldn't sleep properly. Some symptoms came and went, sore throat, runny nose, uncomfortable breathing etc...

Just never felt like myself. Through this whole time I was extremely stressed, anxious, and somewhat depressed.

Two weeks ago doctor found I was extremely deficient on Vitamin D (12ng/L) and thought this was why I haven't bounced back, and put me on 25,000 iu per week.

I've had my third dose yesterday and to be honest I'm yet to see a noticeable improvement.

Anyone had the same experience? Apparently from my research it will takes weeks (if not months) to see a difference?

Many thanks

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

I was diagnosed vitamin D deficiencent 3 years ago, was a bit lower than yours and was put on a daily high dose, one month later it had come up a little but in all it took 3/4 months to bring it into normal range, I still get tested every 6 months so long as it doesn't drop I'm fine on my maintainance dose, takes a bit of time but it gets there eventually.

Did they do liver function as well

• Posted

Yes they did a full blood test, liver/kidney/thyroid was ok.

The doctor put me o 25,000IU once per week with a capsule. Last week I thought I would accelerate the process and started taking 800 IU per day as well. The 25,000IU capsule was by prescription and the 800IU tablets was just from the local pharmacy.

Is this a good idea? I did this because I see other people have been prescribed higher dosages when their Vitamin D level was actually higher than mine. Also I'm a little impatient.

Can this do any harm? I guess not right?

• Posted

My experience is that it gets recovered soon especially with oral use of its injections which can be taken orally or properly injected.

• Edited

I had a similar experience with my health after a bad chest infection around 5 years ago (in which I also had insomnia - I didn't get any sleep for three days, which was awful). I was exhausted, dizzy, really struggling to breath (but asthma tests were all fine). The struggling to breath, I eventually realised was called air hunger (feels like you can't get a full breath in). This sensation eased over two or three years, but still came back occasionally.

Sadly the doctors didn't test my vitamin D, but I've recently tested it privately and I was 11ng/ml (or 32nmol/L). I think I will have been D deficient for years and that's why I felt so bad after the chest infection. I can't prove it though.

as for your dose, I think its too low imo (I'm not a doctor). I'm currently taking 9000iU a day and have been for 9 weeks now. I don't feel perfect yet, but a little better. I also take k2 (to stop calcium accumulating in the blood vessels) and magnesium (as vitamin d needs magnesium to work correctly and many people are deficient in magnesium too).

there are some good vitamin d Facebook groups that are good for gaining knowledge.

in conclusion I would say up your dose and be patient. I hope you feel better soon

• Posted

I also had a severe vitamin d deficiency. On a scale of 50-350 being normal, mine was 11. I was put on 20000 twice a week if i can recall, it was earlier this year. I finished my prescription and then haven't gotten it checked. It does take time to see a difference but even then, the difference might be minor. My recommendation is to finish the capsules/tablets he gave you and then get another blood test done straight after to see if your levels are normal, maybe one or two weeks after to let your blood/body normalize. I had a lot of fatigue which caused me to get tested in the first place but i might need to get tested again as some people do need to stay on a steady dose if their system doesn't automatically become stable after being on vitamin d capsules for 3 months or so, good luck!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.