Vitamin D Deficiency (Absorption problems?)

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hey guys,

I was diagnosed with a Vit. D deficiency in February of 2017. My level was a whopping 8 (yes, 8). Naturally, my doctor put me on 50,000 Units of Vit. D3 for 3 months and I finished the prescription in April.

Strangely though, my hair started falling out shortly after I started taking the pills. I didn't return to the doctor until August though and when I did, I was surprised to find my levels at 19 (still now) - and a new issue, my ferritin was low too.

Now, I live in an extremely hot climate and most of the year is sunny, so from April to August I know for a fact that I spent at least 20 minutes in the sun everyday. I also made a conscious effort to eat more Vit D.

Should my Vit. D have dropped this low over the course of four months!? I don't know what my levels were in April, but after 3 straight months of 50,000 every week, shouldn't I have absorbed more? Has anyone else experienced this? I feel like something else is going on with my body, but I don't know what.

P.S. I'm 20 years old, and eat a healthy diet with exercise everyday.

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

Low vit D is commonly found in autoimmune disorders so it is perfectly possible you DO have something else going on. But it would require further investigations - and if you don't have definite symptoms doctors will find it very difficult to find a starting place.

I know a lady who was very deficient and put on a high dose course as you were - once it was completed her blood level was OK immediately - until a few months later when the symptoms restarted and her vit D level was again found to be very low. A second course sorted the problem. If your tissue level is very low, it may take a LOT to bring you up to "replete" so it may be an idea to have another high dose course.

But I think the low ferritin should be looked at - it can be a sign of iron-deficiency anaemia.

• Posted

Eileen,

Thank you for your response - it's comforting to know that perhaps I just needed more time on the Vitamin D.

My doctor was quite dismissive about the ferritin - didn't even mention it until I brought it up (I saw it written clearly on my blood work). Since then, she has suggested that I take a multivitamin, but I had to probe for any advice on the iron. She is "doubtful" that my ferritin has anything to do with my hair loss, but as you said, I feel it's important.

I got her okay on an iron supplement that I will start today, but I'm thinking I should go back sooner rather than later and discuss the possibility of anemia.

Again, thank you so much for your response. I really appreciate it smile

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.