Vitamin D deficiency and bone changes

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hello,

I was diagnosed with a vitamin D deficiency July 2019 of this year. I have been taking VD supplements for almost 4 months now. Some symptoms have improved some not so much. I have read through many forums abut VDD and everyone seems to have similar symptoms I had before diagnosis and after during supplementation. However, I cannot seem to find anyone I can relate to in regards to bone changes. To be specific, the bones in my upper back, shoulders, and neck are always crunching, popping, and grinding. Even in my skull where my head meets my neck there is some grinding sometimes but the popping and crunching is EVERYDAY 24/7 its not painful really but it definitely is concerning. Also, it is not your everyday typical popping of joints. I know the difference between normal noises and not so normal noises. My doctor has already told me "it's normal," which I agree with that to a certain degree. All this started this year when I started having major issues with VDD. Can anyone relate to this? I do have upper back pain which I have had for a while and it is VERY SLOWLY decreasing but the popping is really weird to me. Being that VDD is linked to Osteomalacia I can only imagine it was from bone softening but I was not diagnosed with Osteomalacia.

0 likes, 15 replies

15 Replies

• Posted

I have bone crunching clicking sounds every so often in my neck area. It is so loud other people can hear it. It doesn't actually hurt, it is just a bit unnerving. I was told it is quite common place and now discovered my nephew has a similar problem. I was deficient in vit D and now take supplements. I think quite a large percentage of the population are low in vit D. Do you know what your reading is? I have had a bone density test and my bone density is pretty impressive according to my GP.

• Posted

Thank you for your reply! My level at the time of diagnosis was 16 ng/ml. I was put on 50k units of D2 once per week for three months. I noticed some improvements but some days I felt worse! At the 7th week mark I felt terrible and decided to check my VD which rose to 55 ng/ml. I then went on 5k per day with K2. Haven't missed a day. I am rechecking my VD tomorrow so I am hoping to be in the 70's now as I have been on VE OTC for 7 weeks now. Some things have definitely improved like my upper back soreness, neck spasms and cramps, and anxiety and depression. However, all this bone crunching and grinding really is bothersome but glad to know I am not the the only one! How ling have you been dealing with VDD and how are you now?

• Edited

Hi , yes i too have had some crunching ,popping and when turning my head it sound it rubbing against something ,but i dont have it a lot however my Dr likes to get to the bottom of everthing has told me it is bone healing along with tendons and ligaments getting stronger and doing their job .. ...

• Edited

Yes! It felt like sand paper in my neck/head when I turned my

head side to side like you. It would happen more often a few months ago and then it stopped for about a month and just the other day I felt it again so I got a bit worried. All the crunching I feel in my spine and neck 24/7 and when I started supplementing with VD I started having it all over like shoulders, knees, elbows, even my pelvis which I've never had these issues before. I can only hope it's my bones way of remineralizing! Man, this deficiency is really no joke. I will never take my health for granted! You are lucky your doctor actually listens to you! Mine continues to think my symptoms are not related to VDD. Im in the process of switching doctors.

• Edited

I hope yours heal soon , im glad we are in the process of healing , yes i love my Dr which is also a family friend . .. Do you have sudden pain in your ears or the feel of flutter in them only to last a few seconds ? I agree with you ,i will never take vitamins for granted again , our body needs them to function ..

• Posted

Thank you! The only issue with my ears I've had is ringing. This happened more before supplementing. Lately it's come back but not too often. I do get flutters but in my heart. It's very scary! It doesn't happen too often anymore but when it does I get really scared!

• Posted

Same here , heart flutters , , not to much thank God ! Did or do you have any swelling especially in you lower legs and feet ?

• Posted

Oh im in 3 months and a week of VD supplements

• Posted

No swelling in my legs or feet. My only problematic area is my upper body mainly my thoracic and cervical areas! One time I did experience tingling in my left foot for two days but it went away. Most recently I went out with heels on to a wedding and danced just one song, my right foot cramped up! My foot hurt for a couple days but it went away.

• Posted

Sorry for your problems, 3 1/2 years on my PMR Journey, many, many side effects, but no that one. Good on the rest of you PMR journey. 🙂

• Posted

Hi , what were your symptoms if i may ask ? And are you recovering nicely ?

• Posted

Vicky, my PMR was mostly in my legs ended up in a wheelchair. I have ringing in my ear from work, the Prednisone made it worse, other side effects, my tongue, terrible mood swings believe me I was Mr Hyde, lost control of my Diabetes. Now on 3 mg tapering to 2.5 and doing okay looking forward to another ski season, at the YMCA 3 days a week for exercise program and weights. So I think I am one of the lucky ones. Good luck. 🙂

• Posted

Vicky, I don't think so, but I do take a vitamin D3 supplement each day.

• Posted

I see. I am hoping that is not what I have and hopefully I can resolve my issues with just Vitamin D but only time will tell. I hope you feel better!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.