Vitamin d deficiency and neck stiffness, cracking and pain

Posted , 2 users are following.

I've been suffering from neck stiffness and cracking, muscle pains, muscle weakness, joint cracking, overall weakness in body, tremors, stiffness in fingers, bone pain, upper back n lower back pain, right shoulder pain for more than 2yrs now. I did all the blood tests and they came out normal. Only calcium levels were slightly low than the lower margin. Then last year i took calcium for 6 weeks and checked again. But the levels were same. Then without checking my doctor recommended me vitamin d 5000iu per week. After a month i checked calcium again and then it was in the range but my pains were still there. Then last year November i did vitamin d check and the levels were 21 which means I'm insufficient. still not deficient. My doctor prescribed me 1000iu per day. i took it like a month and no result. So i went to an endocrinologist. He prescribed me 5000iu. Now i already took 5000iu for 2 months. still i have same symptoms and i feel like my dizziness, neck stiffness, migrainehas increased. also one eye is sometimes uncomfortably twitching and overall my facial muscles are kinda uncomfortable. Im too concerned. Is this normal or should i stop supplementing?

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Edited

Hello Isurika,

Not a doctor so take all of this with a grain of salt

I've been suffering with the exact same symptoms as you lately. It all started in March 2022 (this year). I started getting random muscle aches in my neck and back which has slowly progressed to joint pain in nearly all of my joints and even more muscle pain than before. I have been experiencing my hands and arms falling asleep on me when I'm in bed at night which makes for a terrible night's sleep. I also have been having weird jaw pain and clicking which makes it hard to chew and talk. Add on terrible gastritis and anxiety and that pretty much sums up where I am at right now. Funny thing is though, that this isn't my first time being here or at least close to here. This time is definitely worse.

The first time this happened to me was like 4 or 5 years ago when I was having terrible anxiety, muscle pain, and the arm numbness thing. My doctors tried to tell me it was just anxiety and tried to get me to go on Lexapro. I took it upon myself to get a Vitamin D and B12 test done and my Vitamin D came back low at 18 ng/mL which is in the deficient zone. Doctors do not check Vitamin D for some odd reason and when I took this test result to my doctor he scoffed at me and basically ignored my symptoms from that point on. Terrible person. Anyway I started taking Vitamin D with K2. I don't remember at what dose but I think it took a long time for me to recover (6 months or more).

Recently my doctor (different one) gave me a Vitamin D test and my levels are at 32 ng/mL. This is after supplementing with 5000 IU Vitamin D for over a month. The Vitamin D society suggests that anywhere from 30-39 ng/mL to be insufficient levels of Vitamin D. My goal is to raise my Vitamin D levels to at least 50 ng/mL and keep them there for at least a year to see what results I get. For now I am planning on starting a Vitamin D3 K2 complex with 10,000 IU of vitamin D3 to raise my levels faster this time around. Considering that every 1000 IU of Vitamin D gets you 10 ng/mL I should be able to take 5000 IU as a maintenance dose once I reach my goal level since I apparently am not absorbing it through my normal diet or lifestyle

This brings me on to my next subject. Why are we Vitamin D deficient in the first place? I think it may be a combination of things for me. I work from home so I don't get outside a lot. I also tested for food sensitivities and found that I am sensitive to Wheat. Not sure if I have celiac or not but I gave up gluten because of it recently to see if fixing my gut helps with Vitamin D absorption. Apparently autoimmune issues can cause Vitamin D deficiency too. Took a celiac panel blood test but came back normal. I think it was because I was not eating gluten consistently (or at all) for the 2-3 weeks prior to taking the test. Who knows.

Anyway, I hope you are feeling better by now Isurika. Let us know how your Vitamin D supplementation went.

• Posted

hi can you update us on yourself how are you feeling now as im in same problem

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.