Vitamin d deficiency and pregnant

Posted , 5 users are following.

Just been diagnosed with low levels of vitamin d. Im in the 1st trimester of pregnancy and feeling so tired and weak. Ive been prescribed what i think is a high dose.

20000 IU of colecalciferol to be taken 2 capsulaes once a week for 8 week

Does this seem high or am i bein paranoid? I never was told my actual levels just that it was low and i need a prescription

1 like, 35 replies

35 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

With me being pregnant i cant eat to much fish
    • Posted

Do you eat eggs? There's vitamin D in egg yolks, and a SAD light therapy box may help with your tiredness and they lift moods.

• Posted

Yes it is hard to get vitamin D. I use a multimineral mix that contains it. I wonder if there's a vitamin D transdermal spray. I use vitamin C and Magnesium sprays on my skin.

• Posted

It's only hard to get via food - you can get pure vit D supplements easily enough although in some countries they must be prescribed.

• Posted

I find it hard to get any supplements that are 'pure'. I've been using a couple of sites that sell 100% pure powders but they're body building sites so although they have multivitamins they don't supply them individually. 

The multimineral mix containing vit D and B12 is excellent but I can't mention where I get it here.

• Posted

You probably can - I have mentioned sources a lot. It just depends who/what. My vit D is purchased from H&B or Boots (health food store and dispensing chemist respectively) in the UK - don't know where you are. It is important to be sure the source is reliable - they aren't monitored like medications are so you have to know the retail source is reliable.

• Posted

It's a doctor that we're not allowed to mention. sad

• Posted

It maybe means he has a slightly dodgy reputation...
  • Posted

Thanks all for the replys. With mornin sickness my appetite has gone to nearlly 0. Im probably able to eat half a meal a day. Ill try adding a little bit more of the foods into my diet. Carry on taking the tablets and spend a little more time outside and then see how we are at the end of the 8 weeks.

I dont tend to show alot of skin even in the summer. Ill wear long dresses or skirts, ill sit in tje shade a lot more than other peoole do and i do have high spf in my creams and makeup. When we go on holidays im also covered in spf amd spend time in the shade too. Tbh i have become a worrier when it come to sun exposure over the past year or so before then i would sit in the sun all day!

We do have some cereals with fortified vitamin D and i only actually realised mushrooms had it in them last week! As a whole my diet needs to be looked at anyway.

• Posted

Don't worry about forcing yourself to eat for the sake of the vit D - as the difference you can make is minimal. It is agreed by almost all experts that it is so much simpler to keep an eye on the level and take supplements. It is the one supplement that is worth taking!

• Posted

That's good to know about mushrooms. I've been eating shitite mushrooms and I really like them. As I mentioned above there might be a vitamin D transdermal spray.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.