Vitamin D Deficiency Dosage??

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi, 

I have had widespread chronic body pain for 10 years with migraines, depression and anxiety. I have just had a vitamin D test in the hope that this is related to my symptoms. It has come back at 43.7 which isn't too low considering they consider 50 to be normal. However for problems like chronic pain, autoimmune illness etc the level should be higher between 75 and 125 (so I have read anyway). Can anybody recommend what dosage I should take considering my vitamin d level. My doctor didn't specify what dosage to take and to ask the pharmacist. I just want to make sure I'm taking enough going by what I've read.

Thank you.

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Sorry would also like to ask if I need to take magnesium at the same time as I read that magnesium gets used up in the body whilst creating vitamin d.
  • Posted

hi

assuming that the value you give is in nmol/L? depends on the lab: where i have my blood tested they consider 47 - 144 nmol/L as normal range.

i am appalled that your doctor did not specify the dosage. 

if you are living in the northern hemisphere then, with the onset of winter you'll need to get your blood level up and continue at least until the end of march. assuming that there are no underlying reasons for your insufficiency.

please telephone your doctor to get clarification on the dose or talk to a pharmacist to get their advice - you are safest talking to someone appropriately qualified to advise.

good luck

• Posted

Hi, thanks for your response.

Yes I think it's nmol/l. She said that they prefer it to be above 50. All she said was that there are ones that are a 1000 and you normally take one a day

She said that she wouldn't go over the recommended amount, but because of what I've read I don't know what dosage to take. I've been in pain so long and I'm pinning my hopes on this making me better so want to make sure I get it right.

• Posted

when you start taking the meds, please be patient. the research shows that it can take up to 3 months for full impact to be felt. it took a few weeks in my case before the pain stopped. if that is the reason for your pain, then you WILL feel better, but do give it time to take effect.
    • Posted

Hi, thanks for your advice, I will try to be patient and hope that the pain goes away. May I ask if you had any side effects from the vitamin d and whether you had to take magnesium for them? Also may I ask what your vitamin d level was and what your pain was like? Also did the pain go away gradually?

Thanks.

• Posted

no-there were no sidfe effects from vitamin D tablets. i started on vitamin d + calcium - called calcichew.

my level was 38 nmol/L in the middle of summer. 

some of the pain felt like jabbing in my bones while the more reguloar pain was hard to define - i couldn't say if it was bones or muscles or nerves. 

yes the pain did stop - the first to stop was the jabbing in the bones and that was quite quick ie within a couple of weeks.

good luck!

• Posted

Thank you, that's good to know. That's the same with me.. the everyday, regular pain is hard to describe or say exactly where it's coming from.

Thank you, my fingers are crossed.

• Posted

Hisheenbean,

In minor situations I`ve heard the pharmacist can give you advise instead of bothering the Doctor.

In your case by all means consult the chemist and tell your Doctor that he should know the dosage as the dosage has to be compatible with any other medication your taking. JKust a suggestion.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.