Vitamin D deficiency, hyperparathyroidism and heartburn.

Posted , 24 users are following.

Hi can anyone relate to having muscle and bone pain with being deficient in vitamin D ?   I get severe pains in muscles down my back and this has spread into my shoulders and up my neck into my head at the back. The pains come and go but i always feel tender and stiff in these area's. I get sharp shooting pains, burning pains and the feeling that my muscles are sore to touch. I also have felt like the muscle is tearing when i turn to reach something, the tearing sensation is really painful. I get shooting pains in my right leg in the hip/buttock joint which makes walking difficult at times and causes my left knee to give as i try to keep weight off right leg. The bone pain is usually in my lower back. When the pains in my neck muscles started it seemed to be triggered after i heard a cracking sound and got sharp pains in the back of my neck. 

I also have primery hyperparathyroidism and severe indigestion/acid.

4 likes, 49 replies

49 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hi Frances. I'm struggling to get a diagnosis of primary hyperparathyroidism at the moment. I have similar symptoms to yours and would love to be put forward for surgery. If you have a diagnosis and scans have shown an adenoma, please don't be afraid of surgery. It's a quick operation, a quick recovery period, and the vast majority of people get rid of all their nasty symptoms (and the exhaustion) within days or weeks, and their bones gradually get better too. There are support groups in the UK and USA packed full of advice and experience. I don't know if I'm allowed to post a link, but if you search hyperparathyroidism UK then you should find the right place! All the very best. Kate
    • Posted

Hi Kate, hope you got sorted with your surgery. I am still no further really as my parathyroid levels are now normal but every time i take vitamin d it seems to trigger indigestion so i have to stop. I also now have been having awful pains around both knees for last too months, at times was struggling to walk with pain and stiffness. Blood tests and x ray all came back normal.
  • Posted

hi frances,

suffering from the same conditions and realy borhered of that, dont know whether it vitamin d defficiency or something else but it is really distressing. an additional thing with me is my jaw gets streched and ears start hurting feeling the same at the moment. I am on pain killers for long,had physio therapy, x-rays, a number of blood tests,but every thing is normal.dont know what to do,really anoid of it.

• Posted

Hi Brianna,

yes its frustrating when tests come back normal but you are certain something must be wrong that they are missing.  I get fed up of going to doctors as i feel like i am wasting their time and they must be  sick of seeing me. Next time i am going to ask to be referred back to a Rhuematologist in the hope he can find a cause of my leg pains.  Has your dentist checked your jaw during a check up ?  

Last time i went she asked if i had any problems and i said sometimes my jaw aches. She examined me and said i had some stiffness in one side of jaw which she said was caused by me grinding my teeth during sleep.  She has had a mouth guard made for me to wear during sleep.

• Posted

hi frances

?i also suffer with severe pain,

?with my neck i have to move it about till it cracks 

its horrible to do but the pain is so intense

i find this releives some though not all of it

i also get severe cramp in my feet, legs & hands

?this is worsening &can last for up to an hour or more at a time

as for the cracking sounds i get that all over,

?i do believe it is symptoms of having vit D deficientcy

though i dont have any acid related problems,

i do have the gene haemochromatosis , Crohns disease & ulcerative collitis

?which in my own research i have found you normally get Vit D def if suffer from any of the above

• Posted

Hi yes the cramping is awful so i sympathise with you, mine is mainly back of legs.

I think the knee problems might have been solved as after i saw the physiotherapist she made so much sense, turns out unknown to me i had been walking incorrectly which put strain on knees. Now doing exersizes she gave me and waiting to see Podiatrist for special insoles for my shoes.

I have for past couple of weeks suffered terribly with pains in my stomach which i thought might be related to acid. My stomach is sore. bloated and feels inflammed, i now suspect it could be Gastritis. I had stopped the vitamin a while ago but might try taking it again. 

Best wishes, Frances.

• Posted

From 2004 to now my Vitamin D level has been steadily dropping from 40.2 to 28.4.  And my white blood cell count from 4.6 to 3.6.  Sleeping has been troublesome for about 3 years.

This all changed about 2 months ago.

What I started doing on my own was to take 20,000 IU of vitamin D daily.  I take 5000 IU first thing in the morning, 5000 IU mid day, 5000 right after dinner, and then 5000 IU at bedtime.

Like a miracle after about 2 months of this I could get a good night sleep, my back pains completely disappeared, and my neck pains are to the point of only occasionally do I feel anything.  Not only that - but like a great anti depressant my mood and energy is really great!!

As far as the dose I'm taking.  I started taking 5000 IU pill of vitamin D a day for a month and felt no change and was impatient to either find out if this was going to work or not and try something else.  So I kicked it up to 20,000 and I started to feel better.  Perhaps my gut only absorbs a small amount and that is why 20,000 IU works for me.  I don't know why but it does.  I will think about tapering off to perhaps the 5,000 IU level but will stay at this point for the time being.

Hope someone finds this information useful - it has changed my life!

• Posted

Hi Mike, so pleased you have found a way to help yourself and its working for you. I had suspected the vitamin D was aggrevating my acid indigestion so stopped for a while but i am going to try again. 

Best wishes, Frances.

• Posted

There is a conection between Vitamin B12 Deficiency, Vitamin D Deficiency and thyroid problems.

If, as you say, you are dfeficient in Vitamin D you may well be deficient in B12 too as both are derived from eating Meats, fish, poultry, eggs etc and the symptoms of both are similar.

In addition, if you are on medication for your indigestion this may affect the natural absorption of B12 via your stomach.

I suggest you ask your doctor to test both your serum B12 and serum Folate levels if for nothing else but to eliminate the possibility they may be the cause of your symptoms.

I wish you well

• Posted

Hi Clive, thank you for your advice which i will mention to my doctor. I had recently bought a B12 spray in the hope it might help with tiredness. I am willing to try anything that may help me. 

Best wishes, Frances.

• Posted

If you do or have used the spray before you see your doctor you will have to tell him/her that you have been supplementing as it will "skew" the serum B12 test result unless it comes out low.

Again, if you do or have used the spray you will need to ensure that you have a healthy level of Folate (folic acid) as this is essential to process (and gets used up by) the B12.  They both go together like peaches and cream.

Whereas B12 can only naturally be got from animal products Folate is obtained from leafy green vegetables, sprouts, broccoli, Basil, asparagus, beans etc although some breakfast cereals are now being fortified with folic acid.

The fact that the two vitamins "go together" underlines the benefits of the traditional meal of "meat, potato, greens and gravy" and reminds me of my mother's instructions "Eat your greens Clive"

• Posted

Hello frances,

Glad I found you. Every pain you are feeling are the exact same pains and issues I have been experiencing. My Doctors are no help. They try to say anxiety, but I know what tearing in chest feels like with movement, also the burning in my left arm. its been going on well over a year. t3 was low vitamin D also. im just so tired. chest pains hiatal hernia, gerd, muscle and bone pain. hips and knees. its just frustrating when no one will listen. but I now know vitamin D mines is at 30 right now, but it was 17 at one time im looking through old records, and no doctor said anything....just frustrated.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.