Vitamin D deficiency.........NOT Fibromyalgia!!!!

Posted , 9 users are following.

Over the last few years I have had bouts of tiredness, fatigue and flu like symptoms but always came back round and felt fine.  I also suffered from cluster migraines, again, these would disappear and I would feel fine.  Over the years various tests, scans etc would be performed and all results would show nothing wrong.  2 years ago I started getting migraines again and they go to the point that I was referred to a Neurologist.  During this time, I was prescribed Gabapentin (Neurontin) to help manage the migraines.  Once again, MRI scan showed nothing of any concern and blood tests were fine.  Then the migraines disappeared and I started to suffer from Trigeminal Neuralgia.  The Gabapentin dose was increased and strong painkillers were also prescribed.  This was in June 2014.  Then the TN just seemed to disappear and I felt fine.  In August 2014, one Saturday morning I woke up in pain, feeling sick, aggitated and eventually was physically sick.  As soon as I was sick, I suffered from a seizure and was admitted to A & E.  Again, all tests came back absolutely fine!!!  After this I started to experience a whole heap of symptoms - fatigue, pain, nausea, tremors, hot and cold, the list just went on!!!  I was referred to a Neurologist who advised that the pain was a secondary symptom to another problem.  Just needed to find the original source but it was out of his remit because it wasn't a Neurological problem.  So I was referred to a pain clinic and was diagnosed with Fibromyalgia!!!  I argued with the doctor that I didn't believe it and that I felt it was something else.  But no, they had decided it was Fibro!!  Over the next 18 months, things have got worse, I ended up changing from Gabapentin to Pregaballin but things still got worse. In January I made the decision to come off the medication.  My head instantly felt better, my eyesight was clearer, I also had a little more energy but the pains in my bones and joints were getting worse.  So a couple of weeks ago I went to the doctor about this.  She tried telling me that it was Fibro pain.  I told her that it definitely wasn't anything to do with Fibro.  So she agreed to run some blood tests.  I had the tests on a Monday and 3 days later I received a letter from the doctor asking me to make an appointment to see her to discuss the results.  I could only get an appointment for this coming Thursday 27th April.  A couple of hours after I rang the surgery I received a phone call from the surgery receptionist telling me that the doctor had just received another result from my blood test and a prescription had been written for me.  I asked what it was for and she told me that I had been diagnosed with Vitamin D deficiency.  "That's interesting" I said.  So I go the script for 3200IU Vitamin D3.  Now I don't know what the level of Vitamin D is but since I have found this out, I have been scouring the internet regarding this.  It all makes sense and I certainly know that I have NEVER been tested for this!!  Why not???  2 years of my life taking rubbish that certainly also causes Vitamin D deficiency.  I cannot wait to find out what else has been found in the blood tests but more importantly what the level is.  I am trying not to get cross about this but it is very difficult.  I never gave Vitamin D a thought and why didn't they 2 years ago.  I have read about so many people being diagnosed with Fibro and it turns out to be something that can be easily sorted.  I am just wondering if there is anything else I should be asking to be tested for because it looks like they hadn't covered all bases as I previously thought?????  Sorry for the long post but I just hope that this helps someone else who is going through a similar thing being diagnosed with something that it isn't.

1 like, 23 replies

23 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

My doctor has prescribed 3200IU per day for 60 days but she freely admitted that these are the guidelines they have been issued with and she knows the actual amount required will be more.  She doesn't have a problem with the fact that I am taking extra in addition to her prescription.  I have increased it to 6200IU per day and will increase it again after a couple of weeks.  Too much is likely to increase the pain even more until I get used to it.  I am having tests for a variety of things that have been flagged up in addition to the Vitamin D, but one of the other tests because of the low level, is to check that my Parathyroid is working correctly. 

There is still so much to learn about this vitamin - although it is actually a hormone - and how it effects the body.  I am now on a mission to learn as much about it as I can.

• Posted

Do be careful, you can take too much vit D. It is also a good idea to spread out the dose over the day as the body can have problems if taken all at once.
    • Posted

I've been liaising with the Vitamin D council and have been advised as to the best approach to this, so that I do not take too much.
    • Posted

That is very sensible. Hope the vit D helps, it can take at least three months.
  • Posted

A large British study on D3 was just released and it showed D3 has a cardio-protective effect. The study is named "VINDICATE".  If it is combined with CoQ10, which has been clinically shown to help with energy levels and reduce muscle aches, you have a natural combo that helps strengthen your heart in addition to a wealth of other benefits. If you haven't considered supplementing with CoQ10, ask your doctor about ubiquinone and the renowned "Q-Symbio" study. 
    • Posted

I've been taking CoQ10 for a while now and it does help. When I told my doctor, a few months ago, I was taking it, she fully supported it. Again, it was something that I looked into and know people who have benefited greatly from taking it.
    • Posted

I take 100mg of ubiquinone/day and I wouldn't go without it. The energy, heart and antioxidant effects are way too good to be true.

Besides, it keeps you young, why else would the cosmetics industry put it in all their makeup, lotions, shampoos, etc.? wink

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.