Vitamin D deficiency swollen thyroid gland

Posted , 4 users are following.

I am a 25 year old male from Leeds in the uk.

I was recently diagnosed with a vitamin D deficiency and I am on 40,000 IU per month for 3 months. I have been doing some research and have also started taking magnesium supplements. I have a sore thyroid (could be parathyroid as it feels further back than my thyroid) which my GP decided not to look at when I visited. Instead he took blood tests to measure my thyroid hormone levels which haven't been mentioned in my letter which means they found nothing abnormal with my thyroid hormone levels - this is when they found my vitamin d deficiency. Vitamin d deficiency would make sense as I am rarely in the Sun, don't eat mushrooms because i dont like the texture, and was a vegetarian therefore not eating fish (I have recently started eating oily fish and mushrooms). Since taking vitamin d supps (started on April 22nd), my thyroid feels like it is getting more sore. My thyroid and lymph nodes are particularly sore on the right side of my neck.

My symptoms include:

Fatigue especially in the evening or after a shower, sore thyroid, sore lymph nodes at neck, lower abdominal/stomach pain on right side, anxiety, slight depression, high heartrate, lack of concentration, weak muscles, weak bones, lack of motivation

Something to note is that in August 2015 I received a neck injury in a grappling tournament which has not fully healed after receiving treatment from a sports masseuse, osteopath, and physiotherapist. I have had a CT scan which found nothing wrong. My osteopath believes that I need an MRI - he thinks this all may have something to do with my neck injury.

I have also been going through some very stressful situations recently - baby due June 15th, just bought and moved house, fiancée's father died February 28th (starting noticing thyroid pain very quickly afterwards which got worse).

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

You've had a really bad run of it lately. You may have simply surrendered to stress! That certainly will not help you & may be masking symptoms. Quite understandable with what you've been & are going through.

I'm not a doctor but I tend to agree with your osteopath. This needs to be investigated! Get on to your GP, you may need to bother the GP. I know how difficult it is in the NHS at the mo, I should've been seeing my surgeon in June but couldn't get an appt until October!!

Let me know how you go.

Marilyn

XX

• Posted

Thanks Marilyn. Will try my best to get an MRI but the nhs don't seem to think i need one. Will tell you when i know more

• Posted

I'm also not a doctor but if you are worried about your parathyroids you should ask your GP for a calcium blood test.  If he won't give you one pay for it to be done at a private clinic.  It will cost about £35 and they'll give you the reference range that it should lie between.  Alan.

• Posted

Hi I had exactly the same last year and similar stress going on my thyroid levels kept coming back normal and the doctor said it was just stress and anxiety.

Cutting a long story short id got a large thyroid nodule causing my symptoms i had half my thyroid removed in may last year in the middle of moving house and since then most have my symptoms have gone xx Doctors seem to know very little about the thyroid and rely to much on tsh levels xx

• Posted

I am very pleased to say that the doctor believes my throat pain is just symptoms of anxiety and stress. The old lump in your throat feeling. The fatigue etc could also be from stress or the vitamin d deficiency. After a couple of days of feeling less anxious, my throat pain is starting to lessen.
    • Posted

Ah yes stress can be a killer.

Glad your mind is at rest now. Just remember today is the first day of the rest of your life. You go and live it! You have such a lot to look forward to.

All the best

Marilyn

XX

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.