Vitamin D deficiency treatment query

Posted , 7 users are following.

I've had serious symptoms of extreme exhaustion and joint pain and tingling in limbs long with massive hair loss, lost half at least! Have been hypothyroid for 15 years but treated with thyroxine, thought I was in menopause as 53 now but apparently not. I've been going to my doctor for ages regarding the exhaustion and have has full blood tests, and now finally diagnosed with vitamin D deficiency which at just 14 I belive is very low indeed. I'm hoping all my symptoms are a result of this but worry about cancer as I've read it can cause deficency? My doctor has upt me on 10,000 iu of liquid D3 just once a week for 3 months which having read several forums seems very low for the level I have, I bought high level D3 gel capsules of 5,000 iu few months back as suspected I needed a supplement it never took it,  ow I'm wondering if I should take one a day along with the weekly treatment, I really want to get well ASAP as I feel disabled right now with so much body pain and zero energy, don't want to wait 3 months to see my doc and be told I need higher dosage, any advice would be great! Thanks

0 likes, 13 replies

13 Replies

• Posted

Are you taking any other meds for anything else?  Some meds can cause those issues.  As far as the hair loss, my doc put me on high dose of zinc but I can't remember how much.
    • Posted

Also, I take 10,000 iu of vitamin D daily.  I am 70lbs overweight and need more.
    • Posted

A question for you.....are you thinking the zinc caused the hair loss?  or are you taking zinc to fix the hair loss??  I would like to know because I have lost so much  hair and it is very distressing indeed.  Thanks....
    • Posted

He put me on zinc to stop the hair loss.  I was on a strict protein shake diet under his care and after a month, my hair started falling out by the handfulls.  Serious hair loss!  Once I started taking the zinc, it pretty much immediately stopped the hair loss.  I don't remember how much zinc though.  But it worked!
    • Posted

Also, take a look at this.  This site won't let me put in links, but you can type in this info and find the site. PMC3746228 Zinc deficiency associated with hypothyroidism.  It's on the ncbi nlm nih gov site.
    • Posted

Hi thanks for the reply! I only take 100mcg of thyroxine to keep my thyroid levels in check, they came out as normal in the recent test, my iron level was low last time (8 months ago) with a serum ferratin of just 21, now it's gone up to 27 but still on low side, the doctor said I don't need to take iron supplements but I've recently started taking Floradix as thought it would give me a boost as my levels are not high, I've heard that low serum ferratin can cause hair loss too. I read that vit D deficiency defintely causes extreme hair loss but taking zince wouldn't hurt, like everything I don't think it's clear cut and requires a bit of trial and error.
    • Posted

hello to you!  Thank you so much for the helpful info.   I will start taking a zinc suppliment and try to remember to take the Vit D. capsules I have in the cupboard!  I am so happy for you that your hair loss has stopped, and I hope I can stop mine, too.
  • Posted

Hi, My level was 17 and I was put on 20,000 iu twice a week for 9 weeks. My blood test was then taken after a month wait and my level went up to 79. I'm now taking a supplement of 2200iu per week and hope that keeps my level normal through the winter months.There seems to be a discrepency as to what levels of vitamin D doctors put you on but they all seem to be over a length of time around 8-10 weeks.If you don't want to wait 3 months you could always have the blood test done privately but of course you would have to pay for that. I hope this helps you.
    • Posted

Thanks Lucas. My level is even less than yours and I've been given 4 times less the amount of D as a treatment which seems very odd. This is why I wanted to increase it,  doctors always give less in my experience. I won't get a private blood test as not needed, plus I currently have no income so out of the question, I just want to be sure that the amount of D I'm taking is going to provide long term results as I'd hate to feel like this for longer than I have to if it were just  a case of upping the dosage to 40,000 iu a week so I can get up to a good level and start to feel like myself again!
  • Posted

Do not take two lots of vit d deficiency tabs as fat soluble bits can accumulate in the body which can be harmful. Show your capsules to the doctor before taking.
    • Posted

Hi Chris thanks for advice re. not mixing the tabs, I assumed that all D3 is the same, whether it be gel caps or liquid, the treatment the doc prescribed is called Hidroferol which is Calcifediol 0,266mg - I am in Spain so it may have a different name elswhere, the caps I have are D3 Cholecalciferol 5,000 iu so seem to be the same thing but in different format. I am thinking that if I want to up the dose I can take the liquid form more frequently instead, I am thinking that 10,000 iu just once a week is low considering the level of decificiency I have, the doctor did say I didn't need to take any other supplement but I feel so ill I am not sure
  • Posted

I also live in Spain and know how quantities in medication can vary. Cholecalciferol is the scientific name for vit d  other names are given by the drugs company and will vary according to their origin. It's just the total vit d I take that matters , not mixing tablets particularly, the problem just being the possible accumulation  of the vitamin in the body as it is a fat soluble vitamin . Vit c for instance is a water soluble vitamin and does not accumulate in the body  so you cannot overdose on it as such and need to get a daily supply.  I remember the fuss when my younger sister. Got hold of the cod liver oil tablets and helped herself  , there was the concern that if she had taken the whole lot, there was a risk of liver damage due to the high vit a and d content. Stick to the total your doctor gave you and if you feel you are not much better, go back  as soon as you like and say so.  Hope you live in a warmer part of Spain than I so that you can top up your vitamin d through exposure to the sun!!
  • Posted

Hi, this is Reema

I am 28 years old female. can u help me if u have same or cme acros any similar case.

Actually I am worrying about changes I am feeling in body. Could be side effects of multivitamin injections. I am taking multivitamin injections due to iron def and low b12. Have taken only 2 times so far and from yesterday noticing tiny shiny red spot. id noticed 4-5 such spots on my arms and two at my back. Is this a side effect of injection or what. Have u seen anyone getting such spot after taking multi vitamin injections.? And also after an hour of taking injection, caughing with chest pain and thick saliva kept coming out, thick sticky type. And then later same day tiny red spot.

Past record.

As per my physician, my problem was overweight 85kg and low b12 and iron def.

Iron test result pending because bone cracking noises indicating that it would be low. Phyician knows better. And My thyroid test report all was all normal. And b12 was also not too low, it was 274. CBC was tested But RBC was hemoglobin marginally low with b12 at bottom line of 274. So instructed me to have multivitamin injections every 3rd day.

Symptoms:-

I visited clinic due to following symptons:

1. I was having neurological symptoms of tingling and pin and needle sensation numbness on part of limb. But no pain. Firat went to neurologist EMG test was cleared.

2. High pulse rate 100 to 115 with no cause, foe that physician given me tablets. taking inderel tablet for that 40mg 2 times a day.

After injections I am more restless.

Thanks reema

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.