Vitamin d deficiency Weird symptoms?

Posted , 9 users are following.

So I’ve just been diagnosed with a vitamin D deficiency and I have been given some tablets for it, on the first day of taking them I felt so much better and mostly back to normal but I feel like I’m right back at the start again😕 today I’ve started to have my nausea again which is becoming more frequent again. 

I was wondering if it’s common or normal to have severe nausea with a vitamin d deficiency because it’s worrying me that it could be something else. 

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

It normally takes around three months to get benefit from taking vitamin D. What was your vit D blood test result?  How much are you taking? A few people do get side effects but most people have no problems.
    • Posted

I’m taking 4000 IU once a day, my doctors didn’t tell me the exact result but I will ask when I go back for a review, the tiredness and weakness isn’t really bothering me it’s the constant nausea that’s really on and off ( worse at night ) that I can’t seem to figure out what’s causing it 
    • Posted

That is quite a low maintenance dose, so should not cause problems theoretically. Nausea is a side effect though. Perhaps you could talk to your doctor. I ask for printouts of all my test  results which I find quite useful. 
  • Posted

Hi hannahdexn,

I'm sorry to hear you've been feeling unwell. 

As ptolemy stated, it takes atleast 3 months to recover from a vitamin d deficiency. So give it time and be patient, and don't forget to supplement with the co-factors needed; magnesium and vitamin k2 as mk7. 

As for the nausea, vitamin d is quite safe and you shouldn't be experiencing these symptoms. It is possible that this is due to some ingredient your current vitamin d supplement. Have you tried switching brands? When I first started to supplement, I used gelatin vitamin d softgels and I just felt sick everytime I took it. Now that I've switched to vitamin d drops, I have no problems at all since it doesn't have many ingredients. So you might wanna give that a try. 

Hope this helps.

• Posted

I’ve had the nausea on and off for about 6 months it gets constant sometimes, I’ve only been taking the vitamin d supplements for 2 days so it’s definitely not that that’s causing the nausea. 
  • Posted

Dear hannahdexn

Vitamin D deficiency has nothing to do with your nausea. Yes if you will take too much vitamin D then it can definitely cause you nausea.but here you are having deficiency.Just a morning walk when sun rises can suffice you vitamin D needs.

Now coming to your nausea

You are hitting the wrong target! If you are feeling nausea you should target to give a check to your stomach health. I suggest you to consume Triphala powder which is a combination of three herb( gooseberry+harad+bahera). And 100%natural no side-effects. I am 100% sure your nausea will be cured in 15-20 days

Hope it helps

• Edited

I wound give it a bit more time, but if your nausea continues, it might be nothing to do with vitamin D. have you had food intolerance testing or coeliac testing? These can cause nausea (along with many other possibilities) and can go hand in hand with vitamin D deficiencies - people with low D have a higher incidence of autoimmune disease like coeliac disease.

Is the nausea constant, after you eat or at random times?

• Posted

I think if you need to have more vitamin in your system, and you do not, things can go worse for you. Vitamins are not just in tablets but in foods also, its good to eat healthy as much as you can, and avoid lots of fats.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.