Vitamin D: How do you eat yours?

Posted , 3 users are following.

I'm supposed to take a colecalciferol (Vitamin D3) once a week.

Some say take it with the biggest meal of the day (likely to be in the evening), others say take it in the morning so it doesn't disrupt sleep.

Some say take it with a glass of water, others say chew it to absorb better.

Some say you need to take it with fatty food - what does that mean? I don't really eat fatty food. Will a glass of milk do it?

I've been eating tuna, too. Will that really help?

Can I make vitamin D if I sit in the sun at this time of year or am I just wasting my time and making my melasma worse? 

question

1 like, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Hi there. I'm on two Accretes (similar) and wsa told to take one with the evening meal and one just before going to sleep. Digestive enzymes will be at work during and after the meal, plus research has found bone grows more at night. 

I go out on cloudy days tooj because UV gets through clouds too.

I've read you are not supposed to take with chocolate, tea, spinach, whole cereals and pulses, but not sure how true that is. However, I try and follow the 'rule' and leave 2 hours between having these foods and my supplement.

Hope this helps.

• Posted

Interesting about the foods to avoid - that's pretty much my entire diet (slight exaggeration).

No wonder I feel so low.

• Posted

Mackerel and salmon will have more effect than tuna as they are oilier.
    • Posted

Good to know. I've loaded up on salmon too. It's expensive, this Vitamin D-rich diet. No wonder there's an insufficiency epidemic. 
    • Posted

More to do with sun screen and stress factors i believe.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.