Vitamin D how much

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi after two months of suplementing with 30 mcg of Vitamin D my values are now 60-70(range 50-200). Would I benefit from taking additional 30 mcg daily as to further raise my levels. Would this make me less tired, or does that only hold true if you are defficient below 50.

thx

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

The fatigue may not only be the low vit D - you could have some other problem. Low vit D is often associated with autoimmune illnesses which often have fatigue as a symptom. 

30mcg is not very much in fact - 25mcg is 1,000 IU and I take a daily supplement of 800 IU all year round, summer and winter and then during the winter (September to May) I take 5,000 IU extra. The local osteoporosis expert says at least 2,000 IU in the winter, preferably more, and I live in northern Italy where there is rather more sun than in the UK! I am also taking prednisolone so a bit more vit D is good for me.

I carry on taking the same as you have been doing - but do get your vit D checked after a few months to see if it is getting too high. It's unlikely if you aren't out in the sun a lot but good to be sure.

• Posted

Sorry - "I'd carry on..." was what I meant! Oh for an edit facility!
  • Posted

Why are you taking a vitamin D supplement? Is this a case of self-diagnosis or are you following your doctor's advice? It appears from your post that you are not getting professional medical advice. Just because something is "good" for us it doesn't mean that by doubling the dose it will be twice as "good". Talk to your doctor. Did you know that merely by being in daylight for 10 minutes, with arms bared, is sufficient for the body to generate a beneficial amount of Vitamin D. Please, talk to your doctor as you might have an undisclosed health problem.
  • Posted

Hi, according to my Dr too high a dose of vitamin D suppliment could cause kidney stones. Hence people are put onto a maintenence dose after the initial dose.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.