Vitamin D level is 15nmol/L, only on 800UI Fultium?

Posted , 8 users are following.

Hey all, this is my first post here and I'm hoping to get some advice.

After a year or so of intermittent aches and pains, lethargy and my depression and anxiety worsening, I went to my GP as I wondered about vitamin D. I'd been working in a call centre for a while so knew I probably wasn't getting enough sunlight, and my mum had even diagnosed with a vitamin D deficiency last year after having similar symptoms.

Had the blood test last week and my levels are very low at only 15nmol/L. They also did a FBC which I was all fine (they didn't check my calcium though). I haven't had the chance to see my GP since, it was just a phone call from the surgery to tell me that my levels were low and that a prescription was ready for me. I've been prescribed Fultium 800UI, one to be taken daily for 3 months, then repeat the blood test. The patient leaflet says for severe deficiency between 1-4 can be taken daily (depending on how deficient), and says 1-2 for a maintenance dose! This information here says 4 a day for a loading dose too: http://www.surreyandsussex.nhs.uk/wp-content/uploads/2013/04/Vitamin-D-Guidelines-KSS-HPSU.pdf I'm in West Sussex so those would be the correct guidelines.

I'm not sure what to do; obviously I'm concerned about getting my levels back up, so I'm not happy that I appear to be on just a maintenance dose, but I'm apprehensive about questioning my GP and doing the whole "I found this information online" thing!

Also do factors such as age, height and weight affect the loading dose (particularly height/weight)? I'm 26, only 5ft2 and just under 8 stone.

Or has anyone else been on the same dose and had their levels go back up within the 3 months?

1 like, 23 replies

23 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hello

i hope you don't mind me joining in this discussion . I am looking for some advice please. In september I went to my gp as a result of fatigue and aches and pains. I have had aches and pains for years but decided I needed to see the gp again about this.  She did some blood tests for arthritis and an xray. Bloods came back I was vitamin d deficient levels 23. Dr prescribed me vitamin d supplements 800 two to be taken twice a day. X-ray showed I have an extra vertabrae. As a result of numbness on right side, shooting pains and constant dull ache is lower legs she is referring me to the hospital. I did have to go to a&he on one occasion as whole right side went numb. As my blood pressure was so high the hospital were concerned I had a stroke but thankfully I didn't! They mentioned possible sciatica but I'm not sure. 

My pain has got worse since taking supplements is this normal? Also is this all linked to vitamin d deficiency?  I have felt like this for years and wondering if I could have been lacking in vitamin d for sometime? 

Could someone one please let me know what you think? 

I would appreciate your thought on this

thanks 

• Posted

If your low Vitamin D is caused by more than a lack of exposure to sunshine then it is possible that you aren't eating enough "animal produce" - for example

Cod liver oil 

Tuna canned in water.

Sardines canned in oil.

Milk or yogurt 

Beef or calf liver.

Egg yolks.

Cheese.

If diet is the cause of your low Vitamin D it is quite likely that you may also be Vitamin B12 Deficient as that too can only be sourced naturally for foods such as red meats, fish, seafoods, poultry, eggs and dairy produce.

The symptoms of Vitamin D Deficiency are very similar to some of those of low B12 so if your current symptoms of "fatigue and aches and pains" do not improve I suggest you ask your doctor to test your serum B12 and Folate levels.

• Posted

Food does not really give you that much vit D possibly up to 20 per cent if that. Oily fish giving the most, although egg yolks, mushrooms etc do give a small amount. I read somewhere that vit D deficiency has increased enormously in UK in the last few years along with children with rickets. Probably all those people sitting inside with their technology rather than outside with a football! 
  • Posted

Obviously alot of people have this problem. I was low and I went on a 12 week dosage of them at 10000 UIL a week. My levels are back up and I feel much better. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.