Vitamin D Levels

Posted , 4 users are following.

About a month ago I was told that my vitamin d level is 7.  Yes, my legs hurt, knees specifically, and yes I'm tired often.  These were questions asked by my nephrologist.  I had a transplant in 2013, and quite frankly I'm accustomed to not feeling "normal."  I do not remember what normal feels like.  I just consider some days to be better than others.  Now I'm taking the one pill a week RX to increase vitamin d. 

Some people on the forums I've read talk about not being able to work, function, etc.  I have worked through all, transplant (other than 8 weeks) and the other issues I have. 

My questions are:  how long should it take for my vitamin d level to rise, and why some people with levels higher than mine are not truly functioning in life?  Did the low vitamin d cause that by itself?  Did the side effects worsen over time?

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Eveyone responds differently to different values in their blood. Is one tablet a week enough to raise you values?

Your values should be monitored by your GP. 

• Posted

HI,

My problems started with an aching knee that turned into being totally disabled over 6 1/2 years. The good news is I'm on the mend. My Endocrinologist ran blood tests for Calcitriol (Vit D) and an FRF23 for tumor. I had the tumor. I was diagnosed with Tumor-Induced Osteomalacia 4 months ago. Since then I went to the Mayo Clinic located the tumor they now knew I had. Surgically removed it and I'm on the mend to being normal.

Had they done the blood test FRF23 I would have known about the tumor and could have eliminated years of pain and suffering. Ask your Dr to do these tests and read about Tumor-Induced Osteomalacia. Dr. Tebben at the Mayo Clinic in Rochester, Mn. is very knowledgeable and can guide you through it if the FRF23 comes back positive.

Best of luck,

Don

Don

• Posted

My husband also had a level of 7 - he was fine too! I think it is partly everyone is different and in some cases the low vit D is part of an autoimmune disorder - i.e. it isn't just low vit D, there is something else going on which makes them feel more "ill". Plus - if you have been through renal failure and a transplant you have different standards!

It seems to take anything from a few weeks to a few months depending on the person and the dose. My husband was given 25,000 IU per week over about 4 months and his level was back to an acceptable reading. In the UK IRO 60,000 IU every week for about 8 weeks is commonly used and that is long enough for most people.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.