Vitamin D low

Posted , 2 users are following.

Had blood work done and after a debate with the gp he agreed to do vitamin D check. I phoned for results to be told that my level is 28.4 nmol/L. Waiting for a call from gp next week as it's non urgent. It's not the first time it has been low. What could be the cause?

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

My Consultant did a raft of bloods last summer & Vit D was one of them, it came back as 17.  I was put on Colecalciferol tablets daily.  I have recently been diagnosed with Sjogren's Syndrome, although it was mooted over 30 years ago.  Having read up on Sjogren's, I see that it depletes the body of Vit D.

So, in answer to your question, it could be that being in the UK, we don't get enough exposure to the sun, amongst other reasons.

It will be interesting to see what your GP says.

• Posted

My calcium levels are alright,
  • Posted

Well practice nurse called and said as my level was above 25 over the counter supplement was sufficient and repeat bloods in a month . When I said I was already taking it I was told they have no baseline comparison. What infuriates me is they kept refusing a vital D test but did bone profile.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.