Vitamin D3 deficiency

Posted , 3 users are following.

After having some recent blood tests it showed up that I was deficient in vitamin d3 so my GP has prescribed a course of vit d3 supplements for 12 weeks.  Should I continue with buying and taking the supplement after I finish this course?  My GP who prescribed them for me told me it is the only supplement he takes.

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

Have a blood test in three months time and see if the reading has improved and whether you need to carry on taking supplements. It usually takes a minimum of three months to build up your vit D. What is your current reading? 
    • Posted

I have a print out of my blood test results and for the deficiency it reads:Less than 15 mmol, severe deficiency, 15 - 30 mmol, deficiency and 30-50 mmol, may be inadequate in some people then it says 50 mmol, sufficient for almost the whole population but it doesn't say what my reading was.
    • Posted

How strange. You don't think you are 50 mmol do you? They now reckon we should be 70 or over for normal. 
    • Posted

I'll try and find out when I see my GP next time and post it.
    • Posted

My reading was 27 and a 15 - 30 reading is a deficiency so not too bad really.  I only have 6 more supplement tablets to take and then i finish.  Would it be a good idea if i asked my GP for a follow up blood test to see what my reading is after the course and discuss whether i need to take them on a regular, daily basis? 
    • Posted

I have had follow up blood tests, I think it is a good idea if your GP agrees. I have gone from 26 to 72 in eighteen months or so, taking vit D all along. I think they recommend 70 as a minimum normal nowadays although it used to be 50.
  • Posted

My level was at 13, was told I'm on it for life... 2 000 IU/day once my level goes back up to normal.

​Can't hurt.  If you aren't out in the sunshine alot or wear sunscreen, I would...it's hard to get what we need from food...

• Posted

I spoke to my GP about this and she said I will be tested again for it at my 6 monthly diabetic review as she said I wouldn't really need to take them every day so I'll just put a reminder on my calendar for 6 months time. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.