Vitamin D3 - seems to be making me worse!! Hip/joint pain

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi all,

I've had numerous problems with fatigue over recent years plus two bouts of thyroid cancer, but I never really had the any pains to go with it, until early last year when I started to notice intermittent pain in my right hip.

As 2017 went on, the pain in my right hip seemed to get more noticeable, and also pain in the bottoms of my feet and around my ankles, which has also steadily got worse.

I've been having appointments at the hospital after being referred by my oncologist to a pain management department. I was prescribed Vitamin D3 800iu to take twice a day, because apparently I am low on Vitamin D.

Well, I've been taking it for 2 weeks and I have to say I feel absolutely shockingly bad sad 

The pain in my hip is now constant as of this week and has turned into a combination of stiffness and pain, and this morning I woke up and there was pain in my left hip also. As the day has gone on it's felt like it is rapidly getting worse from the hips down - my legs are so stiff and tight and feel like they are burning, as do the bottoms of my feet. I feel awful all over, but especially my hips, knees and ankles/feet.

I've been having physio alongside this to also combat the hip pain and was given some exercises to do, the main one being a "bridge" where I arch my back and hold it. I basically don't know if it's doing the exercises which is making me feel worse or the Vitamin D3 supplement, but I am leaning towards the Vitamin D. I feel very, very wrong and I don't know what to do.

Is anyone able to advise me about Vitamin D? Is it likely to be causing these problems with my hips? I feel like I have aged about 30 years. The hip pain before was occasional, but now it's constant and I am very scared sad

Thanks for any help.

1 like, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

Hi. I am faintly new myself and I also have horrible pain. There is a group on Facebook actually a few. Just search vitamin D deficiency. They advised me that it is normal for the pain to get worse before it gets better due to the calcium being sucked back into the bones. It remineralizes. I wish you the best of luck hun. Check out the group if you can it’s very helpful!
  • Posted

Hi. Hope you are feeling better. Sometimes vit deficiencies come together. Please check b12 levels too. A lot of your symptoms sound like b12 def too. Check this site. They have asymptoms chart. http://www.b12d.org/

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.