Vitamin E, Selenium, and Autoimmune Hypothyroidism

Posted , 2 users are following.

Hello. I am a 44-year-old male, and I was diagnosed with autoimmune hypothyroidism in 2009. I live in Chicago, USA.

Since January 2015, I've been taking Synthroid 137 (twice per week) and Synthroid 125 (five times per week). For one week in October 2015, I switched to levothyroxine. After that week, I switched back to Synthroid. 

I have long suspected that I have some kind of problem with FT4-to-FT3 conversion. My FT4 levels have been at mid-normal range or higher, and my FT3 levels have been below the upper one-third of normal range. 

My most recent FT4 and FT3 tests occurred in June 2017 and in December 2017. The results were as follows:

June 2017

FT4 = 1.53 (normal range = 0.82 - 1.77)

FT3 = 3.3 (normal range = 2.0 - 4.4)

December 2017

FT4 = 1.42 (normal range = 0.82 - 1.77)

FT3 = 2.9 (normal range = 2.0 - 4.4)

Over the past 7 years, I've had some blood tests for Vitamin E (serum) and Selenium (serum/plasma). The Vitamin E (serum) and Selenium (serum/plasma) levels have always been in the lower one-third of normal range, except for one Selenium (serum/plasma) test in July 2013, which showed a Selenium (serum/plasma) level in mid-normal range.

My most recent Vitamin E (serum) and Selenium (serum/plasma) tests were in June 2017. The results were as follows:

Vitamin E (serum) = 7.9 (normal range = 5.3 - 17.5)

Selenium (serum/plasma) = 136 (normal range = 79 - 326)

The July 2013 Selenium (serum/plasma) result was as follows:

Selenium (serum/plasma) = 195 (normal range = 79 - 326)

In May 2013, I had a Selenium (blood) test, and the result was as follows:

Selenium (blood) = 296 (normal range = 100 - 340)

I am trying to determine whether I actually have deficiencies in Vitamin E and Selenium.

To those of you on this forum who have taken Vitamin E supplements and/or Selenium supplements because you had problems with FT4-to-FT3 conversion, what levels of Vitamin E and/or Selenium did you have BEFORE taking the supplements?

To determine whether you had Selenium deficiencies, did you measure Selenium (serum/plasma) or Selenium (blood)? 

Given my Vitamin E and Selenium levels, am I deficient?

I have read that Selenium can reduce the levels of anti-thyroid antibodies.

So, if I have autoimmune hypothyroidism, can Selenium reduce the antibodies attacking my thyroid and give me better thyroid function? Or is my thyroid permanently dead?

I have read that it's a good idea to be tested for iodine levels before starting Selenium supplements. Is this true?

And I have heard that the best test for Selenium is a test for Glutathione (GSH)? Is this true?

Thank you for any help. 

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

Hi Jack! I live in Quincy, Illinois and my son lives in Chicago, so welcome to the forum! It's hard to establish an answer, as the answer is different for everyone. I will try to address the issues in the order you presented them. For starters, synthroid is absolutely prefered over levothyroxine as the name brand is more consistent in terms of dosage. That being said, Synthroid is a T4 drug only, so you probably do have issues with conversion to T3. The question is how do you feel in terms of symptoms? Next- Selenium is thought to bring down your TPO antibodies, but it's quite complex and may not be the only means necessary. Do you have Izabella Wentz's book, "Hashimoto's Protocol?" If not, it's worth the read. In addition, are you seeing a functional doctor, an endocrinologist, or your PCP? A functional doctor will know best about your levels and can direct you to the best supplement protocol designed for you, and may also put you on a natural dessicated thyroid medication, which will have T4 and T3. Also, are you still eating gluten? These are all things to consider when faces with Hashimoto's. The goal is to halt the autoimmune attack on your thyroid. I see a very good functional Dr. in Macomb but that is a tad far for you. I'm sure there is one in Chicago somewhere. Best of luck in your journey!

• Posted

Hi, bcullo64. Thanks for the reply.

I see an endocrinologist. She has been my endo for 6 years. She admits that she has very little, if any, understanding of how Vitamin E and Selenium are related to hypothyroidism. Therefore, she usually does not order Vitamin E or Selenium blood tests. She says that she does NOT want to be responsible for whatever I do in response to the results of these tests. Thus, usually, I buy these tests privately.

As for T3 medication, I tried Liothyronine (generic version of Cytomel) back in 2012. This resulted in an excessive amount of thyroid hormone (and weird chest pains), and I discontinued the Liothyronine after only a few days.

How do I feel in terms of symptoms? Not great. One of my symptoms can be described as mental lethargy. I don't feel that my mind is as sharp as it should be. I think there may also be problems with my voice/speech.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.