Vitamin E vaginal suppositories? How often and for how long?

Posted , 3 users are following.

Thanks very much for any advice.

I've been using one every night after my bath for 5 days - should I skip a day?

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

I missed this discussion. Vitamin E Vaginal Supp.?

• Posted

I just started taking Carlson's Key-E vaginal suppositories when I ran out of Estradiol which I was supposed to take 2 grams (cut back to one gram) for 2 weeks due to dryess, urinary urgency, "chapped lips" down there when I walk, etc.

Its doing pretty good, symptom wise, but today not so much although I'm very tense indeed which probably is a big factor in overall body tensing and pinching that I do in my lower abdomen

Anyway, I'm wondering how often I should take these things...every night, 2 x a day, forever, etc.

• Posted

Ro

Usually you don't use estrogen creams for a short time, they're normally a long term treatment, unfortunately. I've been on estrace for almost 2 yrs, half gram 2x a week (down from a gram) and if I miss one of my days I'm miserable. I use coconut oil in between treatment days. Unfortunately, the vitamin E and coconut oil is only a bandaid, depending on how advanced your atrophy is...

I sincerely hope it works for you though!!

• Posted

It was 2 grams for 2 weeks, then 1 gram 2 x a week forever.

To me Estradiol isn't as smooth/effective as Estrace but the latter is almost $400,00 a tube here while the Estradiol was just under $200.00 for a smaller tube, too. Ugh.

I have two unopened tubes of Estrace lying around here for years - going to ask my PA if I can still take them as I read the main ingredients don't change much. She will probably disagree but I will give it a shot.

I'm doing very well with the E suppositories, although the insertion is not good. I used my finger last night and it hurt. I guess I will go back to the applicator but not go all the way up as I read it shouldn't go into your uterus.

Between the suppositories and the baking soda I pretty much have my old life back although every day I'm nervous wreck that something will go wrong.

Sometimes when I get into bed I feel a slight urge to pee even though I just went. Last night I was able to get out of that feeling by listening to my new relaxation app and drifted off to sleep.

• Posted

I completely agree with the brand differences! I had to switch to a generic estrace and it's not nearly as effective as the brand name! My insurance won't pay for it any more. Name brand here is about 400.00 a tube and generic is 200.00. The US insurance companies are a generic brand pusher. It still helps 110% but as I said I'm miserable if I miss a dose. Fortunately I don't have a uterus any more, just my ovaries so my risks are about as low as they can get. I haven't tried the baking soda, I use Epsom salts but luckily I don't have to often. I use my 1/2 gram on Tue and Thursday and the coconut oil all other days. My gyno told me to experiment with my schedule and dosing and see what works and use as much or as little as I need, but again, no uterus to worry about.

I just hate the fact that av only gets worse and it becomes a life long treatment. I was under the impression at first that it would only be for a little while, how wrong I was lol.

I'm glad you found something that's helping!

• Posted

I've been taking these suppositories every day for a week and I'm finding insertion is now becoming a problem, also, my vagina feels much more painful when being touched

I stopped using the applicator and just use my index finger up to the middle knuckle - still not good.

I may be using a better insertion position, though, of bringing my legs up to my chest first.

The suppository has a sharp point on it and the bottom edges, while rounded, are still sharply shaped. Ouch. Really pinch.

Anyone ever have an irritation to these vitamin e suppositories when used regularly? Also any insertion tips?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.