Vitamin K2

Posted , 6 users are following.

On TV today in Australia a German professor came on and talked about how we cannot get sufficient of this vitamin any more. We would have to eat a kilogram of old cheese every day to fulfill our daily requirements of vitamin K2.

The benefits are impressive. Not only does this vitamin aim the calcium onto the bones it helps to look after our hearts. There were other benefits mentioned too.

What vitamins is everyone taking? How important are they and why?

0 likes, 22 replies

22 Replies

• Posted

Been taking k2-7 since September along with k1 . Calcium magnesium vitd3 chromium piconilate beta carotene folic b6 and b12
    • Posted

Hello Scot,

could you tell me please, what have you heard about the importance of silica for bones?  thankyou!  

• Posted

Silica is the first element to go in food processing however I don't eat processed foods. It's the most abundant mineral on earth it isn't quite fully understood it's full range of functions but Silica content is high in the strongest tissues of the body ie arteries tendons ligaments connective tissues collagen skin nails hair teeth you getting this . It makes a direct contribution to bone health bone collagen increases with silica supplementation. It also strengthens connective tissues matrix as it cross links the strands. Concentration of it is found in areas of Active bone mineralisation and importantly it combines with calcium in the bone building cell. It plays an important role in initiating calcification process which helps maintain STRONG FLEXIBLE BONES . look it up I could go on but reckon the supplements I am currently taking can only help the long term flexibility of my bones . Stay clear of processed foods . And cut out caffeine totally

• Posted

Thank you, I will look it up. I had heard that the organic part of our bones are made of silica, and the inorganic part is the calcium and other minerals.  However I have been curious why you don't hear professionals talk much about silica or ways to get it into our diet.  Thank you again!  

• Posted

It is in our diet already if we have good diets. K2 is not, however. Type in silica and what foods contain it and the list contains much of what we already eat. Each food has the amount it contains and you can then organise it into your diet.
  • Posted

Vitamin K2, a special bone supplement with a number of micronutrients, including calcium hydroxyapatite, some magnesium (Epsom salts soak), careful use of Vitamin D3 because my levels got too high, and a well balanced diet with very few grains and lots of leafy greens.  I also take for other reasons mixed tocopherol E, glucosamine, complete B. 
    • Posted

My blood tests keep track for me. Because I have Crohns I know what my levels are and one a day keeps me just on the right level. I cannot take glucosamine but my husband does. He has two vitamin D 3 pills and that is checked on his blood tests. I have magnesium but I do not have them all the time. We both have fish oil and fish as well as my good fats tend to be on the low side. We have about seven different vegetables a day and two pieces of fruit or the equivalent thereof. We make lots of soups with bones included. Prunes, avocados and skin of cucumbers are included in our diet. I have calcium tablets if I suspect I am under the four serves per day. The blood tests are handy for knowing I am getting everything. 
    • Posted

If you're referring to my comment about D levels, I have a diagnosis of sarcoidosis (otherwise non-symptomatic) and the granulomas of sarcoidosis actually activate Vitamin D.  Normally the body only activates what it needs but sarcoidosis patients have to be more careful.  There is one form of treatment which says we shouldn't get any vitamin D but I think that's been debunked.  I got my level from 169 which is very high although not toxic to 80, which is low normal and I think a good place to be at the end of winter.  I had to get the second test done privately as I can only have it done once a year through medicare, even though I offered to pay.  I will wait until end of summer and see how things went this year, and then I should have a much better idea how much of a supplement I need.  We only get enough sun for about half the year, probably less.

Your diet sounds very healthy.  Has it helped your Crohns?

• Posted

What do you take, Kathleen?
    • Posted

Answered above. I am trying to remember another one I take but have run out of as unsure I should take all the time.
    • Posted

Just remembered what the other one is and it is zinc. I ran out and am wondering if I should take it again. Looked up silica and it is in some of the foods we have every day or often  like bananas, tomatoes, cucumbers, barley, etc.
  • Posted

I do take vitamin K 2 every day.  I take 200 micrograms daily in a capsule.  I can try to tell you more of what I take later.  I'll see if you receive this first.  From past experience I know that if I tell in detail what I take, it is considered advertising, which isn't allowed in this discussion.

• Posted

I think it's when you mention brand names, and also there are some things which have had questionable claims made for them, or may be illegal in some jursidictions, so those things tend to get deleted as well.  It's a bit frustrating but we can always private message an individual with a specific detail - just don't start sending private messages to everyone!

• Posted

I can see your response. K2 is brilliant. Chemists here in Aus are flat out keeping up with the demand.
    • Posted

In the capital of Nova Scotia I can't buy my K2 from a pharmacy, I have to go to an organics food store which also has a lot of natural health products. rolleyes  The only rheumatologist I have ever had the "pleasure" to meet was a real drug pusher and also flat out stated that research showed Vitamin K was not helpful against osteoporosis.  She was referring to some studies that did not even acknowledge different kinds of Vitamin K, and used K1.  My daughter who is a registered dietitian (and not that old, so her training is recent) didn't know about K2 until I told her.  Ironically, the best book I've read about K2 and calcium is by a Canadian.

• Posted

I suspect that patients have made the push for demand here in Australia. My GP and others have only known about it from me and others like me.
    • Posted

I am in Australia. Amazon is coming to Australia and I am already joined as I purchase books for my ereader but other purchases are not available or when they are the postage is horrendous.
    • Posted

I don't consider osteoporosis as a disease that I have to find a product to fight against it. From what I have been researching, osteoporosis is because of a metabolic imbalance. The osteoclasts that resorb the old bone cells are doing their job at a quicker rate than the osteoblasts, which build new bone are working at. The drugs I have taken for 2.5 years have made the old dead bone stay , and not sluff off as it should, so making bones more brittle. Also, if our bodies are too acidic, the bones need to take calcium out and give to the blood stream so our bodies will be more alkaline.. Also, it is important to realise that new bone is actually built during the time of force or a load on the bones. With all of this in mind, I try to do quite a variety of things that will contribute to alkalinity of our body. Vitamin K2 is one of the many things that plays a part in this. The drugs I have used for the last two and a half years have not made a big improvement in my dexa scan scores, which are very low. So I have quit. It doesn't bother me if research doesn't show that Vitamin K2 helps. Somethings work before research has proved that they work. I don't have time to wait.

• Posted

Well, that's the point.  And the main reason I would never consider the bone meds.  Vitamin K2 DOES help - the Japanese research shows that rather definitively.  

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.