Vitamin K2

Posted , 4 users are following.

There's been some discussion about Vitamin K2 dosages.  I found this article.  About halfway down it talks specifically about osteoporosis and Vitamin K2.  Unfortunately much of the rest of the article doesn't always distinguish the various forms of K, although it does point out that a synthetic form, K3, is toxic and is no longer used in supplementation or food additives.

The Japanese recommendation of 45 mg (not mcg) is for mk-4.  Most of us are probably taking mk-7 for which the dosage is different.  It has been studied and found effective at 180 mcg per day.  

Apparently the risks of toxicity are low as the body does not store a lot of this vitamin.

https://ods.od.nih.gov/factsheets/VitaminK-HealthProfessional/

1 like, 13 replies

13 Replies

• Posted

I read the report and I choose to take from it that K2 does help smile
  • Posted

There is a blood test to check K2-7 levels. The more inactive osteocalcin is the lower levels of K2 are present. So doctors can add that to our blood tests.

There was a study of older women that showed K2 is beneficial with 180mcg nutritional dose. More studies are needed but K2 is definitely important to bone health.

K2-7 unlike calcium for example is impossible to get sufficient of in the diet.

1200 mgs of calcium is needed for older women and D3 is the other vital one.

I live in Australia so it is not just about the sun. Everyone here that I know is on vitamin D3.

• Posted

My problem too.  Because I have a risk factor (sarcoidosis) I'm allowed one Vitamin D test per year.  Usually they refuse the test for anyone and just recommend taking D as most people are deficient.  I can't even imagine asking to have blood levels done of any other vitamins....

I was diagnosed with otherwise non-symptomatic sarcoidosis in my mid thirties.  I would probably have reached a toxic level of D had I not known that sarcoid granulomas activate vitamin D and asked to be tested.  Because whithout this knowledge I would just have been working on strengthening my bones and taking what is for me too much Vitamin D.  I got my level to low normal by the end of this winter by not taking any vitamin D except what is in my bones supplement and the traces in food.  Before that I used to take 2000 IU additional a day and was at 169 at the end of last winter.  At 200 they start to get worried. This was before summer sun exposure....

• Posted

Kathleen - i am sorry i am not helpful and wish I knew as much as you and Anhaga.  My question is where can I get hold of vitamin K2?  It is not sold separately as a vitamin supplement in Boots and I don't know what foods it is contained in.  I am trying to stick to the healthy nutritional route as much as possible after reading all the extremely helpful comments on this web site.

• Posted

I can't get it from my pharmacy either (Nova Scotia).  But it's available in a store that specializes in organic foods and also has a large personal care and supplements section, so at least I don't have to buy it online.

• Posted

Thank you Anhaga. Will have to try and trace such a store in UK as I am not keen on ordering pills on the internet. Thank you too Michelle - i guess you are a bit more 'internet savvy' than I am. I also wondered if K2 is prominent in any food stuff?   I am doing everything else so wisely suggested on this web site like eating the right food and exercising and find it is re-assuring that there are so many caring people out there. 

• Posted

I think lots of places must have "alternative" (really more traditional) stock.  I was actually alerted to the possibility of getting liquid iron supplement at our Organic Earth store by my GP.  It's a supplement which isn't available at my pharmacy either.  rolleyes  I'd been getting my calcium citrate there for years because pharmacy didn't carry that form of calcium, although I think they do now.  Wonder why pharmacies seem so slow on the uptake?  These three items are all perfectly legitimate forms of supplement!

• Posted

No need to apologise Valerie. You will know after researching for a year or so as it takes a long time to read and look up suggestions.

I am in Australia and people here seem to be aware as everywhere is stocking K2 including chemists.

Maybe go online depending on where you are and purchase that way.

• Posted

Thanks Kathleen - I will do just that. (Would prefer it if I could  shop in Australia tho'.  Might be the perfect excuse to visit !! )

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.