vitamin K2

Posted , 4 users are following.

hi could a green juice diet help with osteoarthritis . providing vitamin K2 ?

0 likes, 13 replies

13 Replies

• Posted

Vit K2 is more essential for heart health than cartilage loss. There's a little evidence that it may help with bone density but no conclusive tests. However green leafy veg are excellent for many health reasons, so even if it doesnt help with OA, it's definitely something worth considering anyhow. Avoid synthetic menadione (vitamin K3) and its derivatives however, it can be quite toxic.

• Posted

i forgot matrix gla protein & osteocalcin check this out

• Posted

book on vitamin k2 & the calcium paradox i found it on kindle. loxie

• Posted

in the book buttermilk fat from grass fed cows Ghee .loaded with k2 . just might help .you can get it from supermarkets. and guess what just looked in fridge and i have some bonus!

• Posted

It is mostly K1 you'll get from green veg. You may get enough K2 from diet if your dairy and meat are supplied from grass fed animals. They convert the K1 for us, we aren't very efficient at doing so. But grain fed animals cannot do it sufficiently, not even animals only "finished" with grain. The other food source of K2 is Japanese fermented soy, natto. You'll also get some from fermented veg like sauerkraut and its kin and some types of cheese, generally speaking fermented forms of dairy.

K2 helps send the calcium into the bones so is in fact extremely important for bone health. Japanese researchers have gone so far as to describe natto as a superfood for this very reason!

• Posted

I too am looking into building bone for osteoarthritis...mainly for my lower spine. I have been eating a good diet with addition of bone broth and gelatine and other vitamins. I am looking into magnesium and silica which seem to be almost more important than calcium. I've heard vit K is good too but don't know much about it yet. To me it seems that if K2 is only available from one place in the world it's not likely we'll need it...otherwise many more people would be dificient in it and have osteo. (this could be just me being cynical)

• Posted

Hi meryl , have a look at buttermilk fat from grass fed cows Ghee. you can get it from supermarkets, vitamin k2 .

• Posted

I think the thing to remember here is that if you eat a healthy balanced diet, you should be getting all the vitamins needed. Do not take supplements of any kind unless you have been told by your doctor you are deficient in any way. With many vitamins it doesnt matter if you overdose, the excess is just expelled by the body - but then why pay for expensive supplements just to pee them away....however, with a few specific vitamins it is quite dangerous to take too much (vit A is an example) and these will cause toxicity. By all means eat any food which is proven to have health benefits and not cause toxic issues in excess but just beware of spurious claims that one supplement or another will be a 'miracle' cure - they definitely wont. Natto is very good for heart health and is promoted as reducing cholesterol. For OA inflammation, ginger is the best bet - ginger root not powder or crystallised. Eat it, mince it and massage onto joints, it's good any way and reduces inflammation better than anything else I've tried.

• Posted

i looks rank natto, bet it taste the same , so is sauerkraut. lol.

• Posted

It looks almost alien to me - my hubby eats it and I get a gag reflex every time I see him eat the vile stuff - there are just some things i'm not putting in my mouth.......... lol

• Posted

i just discovered ghee butter with chicken stir fry . not bad at all. low salt soy sauce .mmm .lol

• Posted

Much as that sounds nice Anthony, I'm vegetarian so I'll give it a miss 😃

I do make my own ghee however, no matter what is said about saturated fat, I'm not giving up on milk, yoghurt or butter. I use it sparingly just because of the calorie content but milk fats are good for you so I'm not tempted to become vegan.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.