Vitamin Regimen - PMR

Posted , 18 users are following.

I know that calcium supplements are essential, especially during treatment with Prednisone.  

I am am curious what other supplements people are taking and whether or not you believe they have helped.

0 likes, 78 replies

78 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Hello gilman, I take vit d, calcium, magnesium and iron all RDA amounts daily.
  • Posted

I take a Centrum Silver vitamin tablet along with two organic

plant based calcium (400mg)  that contains vit d daily.

Hope that is enough

• Posted

My rheum was pushing me to go on a biphosphonate after I was diagnosed with osteoporosis. After doing some research I said, no way (she wasn't happy). I now take a bone health supplement, drink a smoothie every day chock full of greens, ginger, turmeric, coconut oil, hemp seeds and various fruits, And i also do Tia chi and yoga and walk every day. I told my rheum that I will try the natural  route first before I add another drug that can have

pretty bad side effects. We'll see if it works when I have my next scan. 

• Posted

Hope that natural route works for you.....I don't want to be a gloom

and doom blogger but my sister couldn't take the fossamax either

because of stomach problems and wound up with 7 fractures before

she passed away at 80.....millions take it and don't have any

problems including me.....

• Posted

I take vit D and calcium prescribed by my doctor. Otherwise I try and get my nutrients through my diet with anti-inflammatory foods, potassium, vitamins, iron etc etc. rather than pill popping. I have cut out simple carbs and gluten as I heard that they could cause a moon face. I am not sure if that is true or not but it worked for me! If you do take supplements you need to check that they are compatible with steroids as some can react badly. 
    • Posted

I take the same as you, and have lost weight cutting carbs, but still have moon face and tummy weight, which is causing me back problems....how fair is that!!
    • Posted

Did you cut out the simple carbs and gluten as soon as you started the pred? I think that is important.
    • Posted

Well, I have cut down on white basmati rice, not cut out completely, because I love it!   Have no bread, spuds, biscuits/cakes but this has only been recently....last 5 months, and have been on pred 4 years, strangely enough, i`m on 10.5mg ,and this is the worst my face/tummy has been!  work that out....what have you cut out...please tell me if there`s a secret to getting rid of PMR fat!....this is the lightest I have weighed for years....
    • Posted

Hi Linda, I have not come across the secret to getting rid of PMR fat yet unfortunately! Sugar and gluten were the two things I really did not touch initially, although I do stray occassionally nowadays. I am now so aware of nutrients and find myself looking at other people's shopping trolleys and tut tutting in my head. I must be a ghastly person to know. 
    • Posted

Me too, funnily enough I have the rice cakes with dark choc on, they are my treat, how sad am I...but it seems to be working....but not off the face/tummy!...wouldn`t care so much if I wasn`t in so much pain with my back!
    • Posted

I've also tried the rice cake heated slightly in the toaster

and spread just a very thin layer of peanut butter.

Yum....but then I love peanut butter.

• Posted

Hi I have recently added Potassium to my diet i take it in the form of a baked potatoe eating tohe skin as well I read some where that it contain 1000 mg of potassium. It has almost eliminated the shaking on my right side I am assuming that is a side effect of preds

• Posted

I have bananas and mackerel, I love it, a bit odd though! I get the oily fish thrown in too.
    • Posted

I'll agree about the figure for potassium - but what exactly is an average sized potato? Nowhere - NOWHERE - can I find a figure that also has a weight of potato along with it!! But that is just a fifth of what you need per day!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.