vitamins?

Posted , 5 users are following.

So my next appointment with my endocronologist is in 2 weeks. I need to stock up on some vits and wonder which brands/mixes are best for hypothyroid/hashimoto. My ferritine, vit d are low and I'd like to take calcium/magnesium/zinc too.

Any advice?

1 like, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hello Mary:

I do a women's multivitamin that has Iron 18mg in it and since I am in the USA my bottle may differ from UK.  UK has 14mg I am told.  Both should be okay.

I also am low in Vit D and take 2000IU a day of Vitamin D.  As we age we lose the ability to process Sunlight into Vit D through our skin.  So many of us are very low in it.  Vit D keeps bones healthy and prevents Osteoporosis, (Brittle bones).

If you take a multivitamin with D in it you should check with your doctor for how much you need for your age group.  Most doctors will do a blood level of Vit D first to figure out how much you need. It differs as we age.

Eat good foods and get vitamins naturally helps also. Fish is good for your heart.  Not fried though.  Baked salmon is good. Spinach is good for iron and all leafy green vegetables.

Ask for a minerals panel to include sodium, potassium, magnesium, calcium, Iron and ferritin and Vit D and B-12.  All of this is blood work.  We need ferritin a component of iron to make the thyroid meds work.

Any questions just ask,

Shelly

• Posted

The cheapest way to get a wide range of vitamins and minerals is to use a 50+ multivitamin.
    • Posted

They're marked at 50+ because at that age all people's bodies become less able to get the vitamins and minerals from the food they eat. Hypothyroidism affects our metabolism and means we are less able to get the vitamins and minerals from the food they eat. It's best to look at the list of vitamins and minerals the product contains and ignore the title used to market it.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.