vitamins for COPD

Posted , 6 users are following.

can anyone tell me what is the best vitamins to take for COPD. i got cod liver oil with vit A & D high strengh and Vitamin C with Zinc and am no to sure but also got Glucosamine Sulphate 2KC1 high strengh was trying to think which wd be best but  there is so many.

0 likes, 12 replies

12 Replies

• Posted

NAC and the ones your doctor tells you take. Often COPDers are often low in D but no need to take something you do not need. Human physiology.is an intricate balance of many hormones, proteins, enzymes, amino acids. Throwing something into that mix is more likely to hurt than help.
  • Posted

NAC and the ones your doctor tells you take. Often COPDers are low in D but no need to take something you do not need. Have your doctor test for D. Human physiology.is an intricate balance of many hormones, proteins, enzymes, amino acids. Throwing something into that mix is more likely to hurt than help. Kinda like throwing 3 tablespoons of baking powder in a cake rather than the teaspoon the recipe calls for. More is not better and can have unintended consequences.
  • Posted

If you go to the lung foundation in the country you reside and search their site for ' eating well  with a lung condition', you will get an idea the nutrients you need to be eating in your diet,  if your diet is good you may then only need to supplement to boost the immune system through the winter months.  

If you eat oily fish for instance you may only want to supplement with cod liver oil on the days you don't eat oily fish.

I personally would not supplement with vitamin A .  I supplement with Vitamin D3 because I am prone to deficiency and I have another health issue where this vitamin is important to me.

You can find out a lot if you do some research yourself, ie search for foods high in vitamin A, ect.  Vitamin C through the winter months is a good option.  But generally nutrients obtained through food in your diet are much more easily absorbed and often contain a good balance of vitamins and minerals, leafy green, broccoli etc helpful for many illnesses.

Don't get the connection of Glucosamine with COPD !

Genenerally a good balanced diet is going to be very helpful to you.

search NHS  goodfood, living well, balanced diet.

• Posted

Hi Margaret, the ones you are taking sound good except the Glucosamine which is for joint problems.  I would recommend Garlic tablets as they are antibiotic, antiinflamitory and antiviral.  You can get ones that are coated so they don't taint your breath and they do keep the vampires away lol!!!  Also turmeric is good so I've read but I've only just started taking those.  It's all worth a try I think.  God bless. xx

• Posted

A lot of people with lung disease suffer from vitamin D deficiency so ask your doctor to check that. Eat a healthy diet, lots of fresh fruit and vegetables and stay away from processed foods. Best wishes . AJ
    • Posted

thanks my daughter has also told me to get prebiotics as i am on steriods a lot lately got them but dont know if should take them constantly
    • Posted

prebiotics and probiotics are helpful for digestive disorders / bowel problems which can be caused by needing to take several courses of anti biotics to clear a lung infection for instance.

If you have this problem then both pre and pro maybe of help to you.

Here is patient UK on pro and pre biotice:

https://patient.info/blogs/sarah-says/prebiotics-and-probiotics-do-we-really-need-them

When there is already a digestive or bowel upset live natural yoghurts and drink with the friendly bacteria to help bring the bowel back into balance may not be enough, but they are helpful for maintenance when the course of pro or pre biotics is complete and you are waiting to see if you need to take another course of them.

Patient UK information pages on steroids:

https://patient.info/health/oral-steroids

If you are having some serious upsets with the bowel when oral steroids you should really talk to you doctor and do read the information leaflet enclosed with your medicine.

Hope this of help to you.

Best wishes V

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.