Vitiligo and hairloss

Posted , 18 users are following.

Hello. I am 21 and earlier this year was diagnosed with vitiligo. It has continued to spread on my hands and around my hips and more recently at the corners of my mouth. I was wondering if any one has suffered from hairloss with vitiligo? I was given Lamisil at first as the doctor thought it could be pityriasis versicolor, which it was not. The whole coming to terms with it has been both depressing and stressful so I'm putting it down to maybe just being due to stress. There has never been any early hairloss in the family and I don't think it's genetic as it ties in exactly with the time the vitiligo started to get worse. I've been told by the dermatologist that there is no connection between vitiligo and hairloss but I've heard of some one els who also had the same.

I have started using Protopic cream in the hope that it may stop the vitiligo spreading.

I'm grateful for any advice you may have.

All the best

0 likes, 30 replies

30 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hello I find this an interesting topic - I suffered with extreme stress twenty six years ago when I was 32 years old - i had had my third child after a ten year gap and my husband lost his job - I started to lose my hair - one large area, and many small patches over the following couple of years which was put down to stress as I was also a victim in a serious incident in a bank during the same time nine months after the birth of my third child.  I have read reports online about connections between vitiligo, stress, hearing loss and alopecia (cant find the link as I write) I suffered the stress and my hearing coincidence or not seemed to get worse (I have pitch difficulties in both ears), Eight nine years ago I noticed patches on my chest - I visited the doctors who said nothing can be done and it might clear up - it hasn't it has progressively got worse (I look like I have a map of Europe on my chest) I now also have spots on my shoulders and lower arms.  I am sixty this year and maybe because of my age haven't been too disturbed by it (only when I holiday as it is highlighted by turning bright pink) - all four abnormalties are still with me and will be with me to the end of my life I imagine so I learn to live with it but I too have never connected all four but wonder if they are all auto immune connected. 
    • Posted

I am 64 and my vitiligo kicked in 2 years ago.  My niece got it in her teen years and is now completely white.  She is very beautiful.  I used to be quite dark  though I am a Caucasian.  It only bothered me when it started on my face.  I started wearing a wide brim hat.  I don't tan on my face anymore so it really isn't noticeable.  My grand niece says I look like a cow, we both laugh, I suppose I do.  I believe in a couple of years I will be all completely white.  It doesn't bother me, I also think that could be my because of my age.  I am still pretty (I think so).  I always wanted to let my age go gray when I reached this age but when I don't color it, I look bald.  My gray/white hair is translucent now, so I color my hair to look like I have hair.

I read somewhere that people with vitiligo has skin that does not age as fast.  Must be true, I look younger than all my siblings and I am over 8 years older than my youngest brother.  So there is a plus side.

Good Luck!

• Posted

For the last 2 years I have been taking Viviscal tablets for my hair thinning associated with vitiligo. At first 2 tablets a day and now one. They are not cheap but do seem to be making a difference. The other things I do are to take 2 vitamin B tablets a day and I have bought some scalp colourant online from America (cream is easier than the spray) for the area of my parting that was showing my scalp due to my hair thinning. The combination of all these things is that I am more confident, I have taken control and I no longer feel I will get caught with my scalp showing.

For me, the calming effect of being in control of my vitiligo whether with concealers, self-tan or anything else has stopped my feelings of despair. Good luck all of you out there with this strange "desease". One day they will crack it - probably with stem cell research.

• Posted

Hello, 

I am thinking to use viviscal as well for my hair fall. But was afraid that it may trigger my vitiligo and increase it. How is viviscal working out so far with you? Do you have any changes in vitiligo due to that?

Thank you. Waiting for your response.

• Posted

Hi - I have had vitiligo go for 24 years and have lost all pigment in both hands, feet, legs, back and now my lips. So I fully understand how frustrating it is for you.      I also have pernicious anemia and thryoid problems .which are auto immune issues that tend to  be linked  together.     In the last month  I have  started loosing my hair in clumps and my scalp is a pinky colour with thin regrowth of snow white hair. I feel quite panicky about loosing my lovey thick hair.     I believe my hair loss is stress  related also which in turn triggers a vitiligo flare up.   Drs have advised me there is no known cure for vitiligo.  I'd love to know if anyone has found one.     Life is short,  hang in there and make the most of every day. 

• Posted

Hello dear friend, I'm sorry to hear that you have been in vitiligo for many years. I think u may take some traditional Chinese medicine and it has no side effect. Some of my friends' vitiligo  have been cured by taking this medicine. So maybe you can have a try .

• Posted

hi thomas

what kind of medicin is that? may i know

i have also vitiligo for 15 years now

• Posted

There has been a lot of discussion here about vitiligo and hair loss. I too had both but decided that as I had my vitiligo under control with night tan, cover cream etc. I would do the same with my hair thinning. I went to a trycologist who said it was hereditary hair loss. This may be true but in the light of all that is coming out of these and other discussions I think it is linked to my vitiligo as I also have had thyroid problems.

The bottom line is that not enough research has been done on this strange disease despite it being written about in roman times and affecting people all over the world.

For my hair loss I was prescribed a hair loss liquid, the same as can be purchased over the counter in Boots. The only difference is that it contains oestrogen. Very expensive and has to be done every night. I was told this would not need to continue for the rest of my life but that also seems to be a myth. So many lies and people out there ready to profit from desperation.

Anyway, the good news is that a year down the line, the combination of this liquid, vit. B12 tablets, Viviscal and a scalp spray have resulted in my hair loss greatly diminishing to the extent that I can live with it.

Good luck fellow sufferers and feel glad about the great things about youself.

• Posted

I too was losing my hair.  I started taking a high dose of Biotin (10,000 mcg).  Within a month not only did I stop losing my hair, it started regrowth.  I now have hair on my arms and legs again and my nails are stronger. Plus my eyebrows are coming back! 

I also take flax and get B12 shots once a month.  I didn't really see any difference until I started the Biotin.  It worked for me, maybe it will work for you. 

Go to Amazon and you can get a get a good deal.  BTW, it worked for my daughter also.

Good luck, let me know how it works for you.

• Posted

hi everyone here

can anybody help me with my vitiligo

i suffered my vitiligo for 15 years now. i feel so shy i lost eveything. i feeling ashamed everytime i go out

somebody can help me. i am totally desperate in my life

i want my life back without vitiligo

i would really be grateful if someone can help me

• Posted

vitiligo and hair-loss are not one and the same. Hair-loss can come from stress and other factors. I think hair-loss will be easier and quicker to address than vitiligo. All the best.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.