Vitiligo- my experience

Posted , 51 users are following.

I'm a 16 year old boy with vitiligo. I've had vitiligo since I was 11. It's been a difficult 5 years but my friends and family have pulled me through.

I know vitiligo isn't a life threatening disease, it doesn't affect my health but in this day and age- where society puts a lot of importance on looks, vitiligo is almost as bad.

Most of the pigments on my face have already dissipated and there are symmetrical patches across my body.

Early on, what I found most difficult was the little things like the looks that I got from people that passed by or the fact that people were so obviously avoiding the seat next to me on public transport probably thinking it's contagious or something. I don't blame them though, maybe i'd do the same if I was in their position. It wasn't long before I kind of stopped thinking about what others thought of me and focused on what I thought of myself. Still, this made my self-esteem very low and made me really insecure.

It was only recently that it started getting difficult again, I was getting older and was thinking about what the future had in store for me. Questions that I really never thought of started popping up.

The biggest one being: who'd want to marry me? Of all the people in the world, why would anyone choose me? When people look at me all they'd see is someone who's different, an abnormal person.

I'm not really sure what i'm trying to achieve by posting this, it's not a question, but perhaps there's someone I can talk to who can relate or has been through this.

I'll admit, It wasn't all bad, vitiligo, I feel has made me a better person. It definitely made me humble and appreciate things I otherwise might've taken for granted. Vitiligo has kind of opened my eyes- teaching me not to judge a book by its cover.

8 likes, 39 replies

39 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hi, I am 24 and I have VITILIGO. I have had it ever since I can remember. My mother told me the 1st spot was seen when you were about 6 so that's all I know. She is the one because of whom I have been able to take a stand for myself, she is the one because of whom no one can dare treat me differently at home. But your entire life you cannot hide yourself behind the four walls n that's when things get difficult. I have had to face discrimination at school, public places, college, functions and every new person I have met has asked me this- "how did this happen ?", "If I would have known I would have told you" is the first thing that always comes in my mind.

I come from a small town so i had to leave the place at an early age in order to purse my further studies. So the worst incident I faced was when I was asked to leave a paying guest house at the request of others that They feared that they will catch this disease as well n that they also cannot eat at the same place where I was eating, so I was asked to vacate the place within 2-3 days, but since I could not stand such a thing I left the pg at very moment, as one of my friend said that I was not made to take this s**t n that she was coming to pick me up. N to my amazement this all came from people who called themselves "educated".

But only thing that is getting me through this hard time is my family n friends whom I can always rely upon. Hadn't been for them, I wouldn't have been able to make it through the dusk without crying n feeling alone.

• Posted

Hi!I saw someone was telling about the reggress of vitiligo using homeopathy.Can you please tell me a link to which homeopathy treatment you were treating yourself.I have a doughter 6 years old and I think she has developed vitiligo.I want to stop spreading as it os in early phase.Please share the name of the Homeopathic Center

• Posted

I developed a small spot of vitiligo on my leg some years ago. I stopped taking body building supplements and I stopped consuming dairy. I believe this stopped the vitiligo from spreading. Perhaps I was allergic to dairy but didn't realize it. I am almost 100% convinced that consumption of dairy caused my vitiligo.

• Posted

i posted a photo of my husband and im so sorry that i commented on your thread. i just want some insight. if any of you could take a look and see if it is Vitiligo.

• Posted

Some people have it bad, just keep in touch with all kinds of professionals on the issue, some day you will get the answer in some form.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.