Vitiligo my story

Posted , 4 users are following.

I work in pharmaceuticals, I was working with levothyroxin one weekend which is a product that is given to people with a under active thyroid so it caused my thyroid levels to elevate. I noticed a small white patch under my eye which grew to about an inch long within a week, my doctor did a blood test which confirmed my thyroid levels were high, it took 3 weeks for these results to come back he then did another blood test to consentrate on my thyroid that test came back normal and has been normal for the past 6 years. My vitiligo has not spread at all during that time up until this year it is now all over my forehead. 6 months goo I was diagnosed with hemochromatosis which is to much iron in my blood. My conclusion is that vitiligo is something I have always had but it needed  a trigger.  Ether thyroid or iron overload caused my amune system to activate not only was it attacking my disorders but also my skin.

thanks for reading my story steve

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hi Steven,  I was interested in your story because it was after I was prescribed Thyroxine for an under active thyroid that I developed Vitiligo.  I did a bit of research and found out the possible connection with this drug, although it wasn’t proven, and I think remains a theory.  I started this treatment quite a few years ago, now I hav Vitiligo all over my body.
    • Posted

Hi rita

thanks for your reply my vitiligo was only below my eyes until this year now I have a large patch on my forehead. Have you tried any treatments and have you have any positive results. As I haven't tried anything but with it now spreading again I need to do something.

thanks steve

?

• Posted

Hi Steven, I was told that it could be the result of taking thyroxine.  I now have it all over my body.  I was told there is no cure for this,  but was sent to get   camaphlage cream. It was awful to put on especially having so much especially on my arms, and it didn’t cover completely.

I’ve recently bought Vitiligo Organics on the internet which claims to bring the pigment back to the skin but you have to apply the oil every day for some months.  I only started a week ago so don’t know if there is any truth in their claims.  It is very expensive!  Let me know if you find anything that works please.

I’ll keep you posted on the Vitiligo Organics.

Rita

• Posted

I do not believe that vitiligo needs a trigger, its just someone unlucky. Its possible that something will start the issue, but most of the time it appears to be random events.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.