VLP Questions

Posted , 4 users are following.

I have been having what I thought was recurrent yeast infections for quite some time. I finally saw a new gynecologist yesterday and she took one look and said she thinks it is VLP. She did not do a biopsy but prescribed clob .05% and told me to use it once a day. And to only use a pea sized amount and she told me to come back in a little less than 2 weeks. If I see improvement, she is confident it is VLP. If not she will biopsy. I put the clob on last night and the itching immediately stopped. My Dad also has OLP, so I'm guessing this is my diagnosis. The good news is now I have a name for what I'm dealing with. The bad news is I know basically nothing.

Do you use clob for the rest of your life? Or is it something you use with flare ups only?

I have been reading about labial absorption and vaginal obliteration - is that always how the disease progresses?

Would you demand a biopsy or based on my family history and the medication making me feel better on contact, would you be satisfied that this is the proper diagnosis?

Any tips you would recommend for keeping the VLP under control?

Thank you for any and all help. Any information would be wonderful.

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

HI. the best thing i did to manage my vlp was to stop eating nightshades - tomato, capsicum, tobacco, potato eggplant. they made my gut more reactionary and once i stopped eating them the vlp became calmer. i also had OLP and had to fight to get the diagnosis for VLP. I use clobetasol ointment on my OLP flareups, they're mild. on the VLP i use colifoam. i am also on methotrexate, but the colifoam has had a marked impact on it, where as i really couldnt tell if the methotrexate was doing anything! I hate that I couldn't tell feeling thrushy apart from the symptoms of VLP, I have lost my labia minora totally. but things are feeling pretty ok these days, which I attribute to dietary changes mostly. i would not bother with the biopsy , - my OLP was not proved as OLP from a biopsy, but from also getting VLP.!  though they also look for precancer with the biopsy , so maybe its useful for you. OLP etc is not , in theory hereditary -  good luck! 

• Posted

I have lichen sclerosus of the vulvar and no biopsy I had symptoms but no definite signs the dermatologist prescribed clot and said if it improved symptoms it would confirm it was LS.  Follow the guidelines of how to use it. I’m not sure if LP is a lifelong condition as LS. There are Facebook support groups which are really friendly and helpful and will give you lots of tips on how to keep it under control ad different products and methods they use. Plus you get support from fellow sufferers who are going through the same. Good luck!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.