VN changes with weather

Posted , 4 users are following.

I'v had VN vertigo for 3 years. I live in super humid S. Florida, usually in 90s. This week cooler and less humid my brain is not so fuzzy and I have more energy, yeah! do other people notice this.

PS I do not have anxiety like so many of you, but am glad to see Christine Psychotherapist with us.

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

I also live in florida and i agree with you. I will say mine is still with me every single day. I am on year 9 with VN. What are some of your symptoms?
  • Posted

Hi Jennmarie, 9 yrs ugh, I am 75, how old are you.

Here is one of my previous posts, symptoms in last 1/2.

Hi Helen, 3 years ago I had very violent attack of spinning vertigo, vomiting, sweating, hospital, it severly damaged my vestibular nerve on my left side. Do not not know the cause, could have been virus? This was all found out after the slew of mri's, mra's, various vestibular testing, color/hot water in ears etc.  6 months of testing and 2 rounds of vestibular therapy have not helped me at all. I did first year of compensation excercise ... got sciatica, argh, gone now. I was told compensation only happens in first year and that seems true for me. I do not have Menieres, or Bppv. I do have nystagmus.

Dr says canals are atrophied, kaput, could be from age too, so my condition is permanent. The only thing he can offer is gentamicin which will destroy my perfectly good hearing on left. also it may stop some of confused nerve impulses still fuzzing up my brain. This does not sound good. I am retired and walk with cane. I think the fuzzy brain is even worse than the lack of balance. I volunteer and look after self, but then nap in afternoon, I only do 1/2 days. Nap leaves me more fuzzy. I have no medications, just coffee.

I have a window of clarity in the middle of the night occasionally, when I wake in the dark, with no motion, or sound my brain is clear. Yeah, I get up and search for forums :-). Sensory deprivation seems to be a help - but hard to live that way.

I am mostly vegetarian vegan, do not smoke or drink, and my numbers are all good.

My symptoms are:

Overall unsteadness and dizziness, like walking on balance beam. makes me very fatigued

Turning head to talk to friends and shopping are bad, also noise and bright light.

Brain Fog - how else to explain this just a horrible feeling in my head

I have felt on really hot days, like I could pass out or fall.

Frequently fall asleep when I rest on bed.  

• Posted

I am 32. Dr says mine could be permanent also. I have more of the swaying dizziness but definitely the foggy head feeling. I also feel very faint and have a lot of anxiety.
  • Posted

Hello Arria,

I've often wondered that too. Our summers can get really humid here too and as my friend pointed out to me, I had an episode of dizziness several years ago which I totally forgot about, certainly not to this extent. Both episodes in summer, early August. I should also mention when there is a drastic shift in temperature (cold to hot, vice versa), and windy days.

• Posted

Hi Arria and others, I life in Sydney, Oz, and though we don't have the humidity of Florida, it can be pretty oppressive some days and yes, I agree with others that the weather patterns do affect this condition.  For me personally, it is the wind.  I've never liked windy days much but these days there is a strong wind I am mindful to stay inside as much as possible without limiting my life.  Too short to let this condition take it over.  

One of the ways I cope is doing what is called 'self talk'.  When I am feeling negative or finding it hard to do home thing because I'm a little fuzzy in the head say, , I might say to myself, "okay, well you can do it, even if it's for just 10 minutes, and then see how you feel after that", or, "it is hard to be outside today cos it's windy, but maybe I'll go to the shopping mall/gym/friends place and just get out and about for a bit". There's plenty of web links for self talk and it is a well known and practised psychological tool to help still those negative thoughts, even for a bit.

i hope you all have some family and friends around. It's so important to stay connected in some way.

Christine

• Posted

Re Self talk, mine is usually, 'thank god i'm retired, I can do the mail tomorrow, afternoons are for naps ..." I do 1/2 days and volunteer with lots of over 55s. so that is ok.  i suppose I should try to walk more.
  • Posted

Hi Arria, that is great that you do do that, you know when I first got this VN it took me a while to recognise that my old lifestyle of packed in days was not possible anymore. Eventually, after exhausting myself over and over and beating myself up cos I couldn't do all the things I had been doing before, I reduced myself to a 'one thing a day' routine, whatever that was. Still now, I try not to overload my days. You just have to do what works for you. We are all different. Today I am early for an appointment so strolling in our beautiful botanic gardens, slowly. No power walking not today. Tge gym, a leisurely walk and an early dinner are all I will do. So take it easy on yourself. Good luck with that walk to the mailbox. Christine

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.