Voice loss as well?

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi All.

I am a recently enlisted member of this group, sadly.

My question is that when I first went to the Doc (3 yrs ago) I actually was complaining of a horse voice and inability to catch my breath. Finally, just 2 Mths ago I have had COPD diagnosed but NOTHING about my horseness. Has anyone else suffered this?

So far the only checks that have been carried out on me are the Spirometer reading (62% i think) carried out by a nurse, a blood test, my lungs listened to, plus a digital device placed on my finger.

Is that all you get?

I am now on Spiriva but I have only been on that for 6 days so no effect whatever so far.

1 like, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

I do know that I sound 30 years older than I am. Don't fret, eventually you will get sick of the sight of the doctor, the hospital, the respiratory nurse, the x-ray operator, the chest clinic, etc. etc. etc. Don't I sound the cheery one today? Well actually I am. I managed to vacuum my flat today. It took ages, but I did it myself!
  • Posted

hi rizla the device thing on your finger is called an oximetre. you can buy a home version of them for about £ 20 uk money. The oximetre can tell quite a lot about your blood saturation levels, ie what oxygen you are using efficiently or othewise. This can tell you how much your diet and other regimes are helping your condition. Definately, if you can afford it buy an air purifier. Do not buy whirlpool (they are made in china nowadays and info on the net suggests this has affected quality - although this is by no means definitive advice since reviews are subjective )or cheaper makes than an IQ Air pro plus 250 - they cost about £900 in uk money. These purifiers clean out tiny harmful particls in the air. As |I've said before, I do not represent any company or anything. I'm retired but I bought an IQ air 250 and it is the best thing I ever bought.

You should ask your doctor to arrange a full x-ray and scan of your lungs to see where you are right now.

good luck.

• Posted

well done Christine, wish I could do that. Rizla (is that as in cigarettes?) I try to keep away from the lot of them but they get me in the end. Chest clinic, Physio Clinic, Doctor once they have your name they will keep tabs on you. Managing This horrible disease is largely a matter of actively looking after yourself, your body is a temple, sort of stuff. Good variety of food, exercise, no smoking, rest and keeping as cheerful as you can. My COPD is now sever under 30% lung capacity but I battle away. I am nearly 78, on oxygen and in a wheelchair but I still enjoy life immensly. Look after yourself, they are only there for back up, to report progress, give advice and pills hen needed. I find my pulse oximeter to be a great help, that's the thing they put on your finger..
  • Posted

Hi rizla01!  Yes, I WAS also hoarse!  I was supposedly diagnosed with asthma in June 2012; however, I was not given all the proper tests and my doctor in Feb 2014 (who had worked for many years at Jewish National Hospital) said it was hard to believe that suddenly at age 69 I developed asthma.  He therefore felt that I have had emphysema for many years but was just properly diagnosed in Feb 2014.  However, my point being....I have been hoarse for several years and was told by one doctor "oh, it's just a verbal thing".  Now that I am on Spiriva and oxygen during the night, my hoarseness has disappeared, so I do believe that being hoarse is part of COPD.
  • Posted

hi i have had a horse voise foe about 3 years last year (2015) i had a full body scan as the doctor thought i had cancer.which i have,nt (thank god) but it did show up that i had emphysema of he lungs. this last 6 weeks my voice has become much worse it is very croakey and and i find it very difficult to to talk at all some times have good days and bad...when i have asked my Gp about it he sed it was because of the emphysema ....hope you find this helpfull ..

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.