Voltage-gated k+ ab

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi All thank you for havinge in the group.

I'm am ME sufferer who is being investigated for a muscular spasm issue I've faced for over 10 years that send to be getting worse.

Finally after all this time I've been supported I'm finding out the cause and had tests my neurological blood tests shows a voltage-gated k+ ab.

I have have ages until my next appointment and keen to know what this means.

Anyone have experience or know what it may be?

Cheers

Paul

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

Hi Paul. Happy to hear you may finally get some answers for the symptoms you've been having. From what I understand, voltage gated channelopathies are disorders caused by the dysfunction of ion channels or the proteins that regulate them. They can either be hereditary or an autoimmune process.

?There's quite a long list of diseases in this spectrum. I'm in the process of being tested for episodic ataxia, also a channelopathy. 

?I believe 'k' refers to potassium. Some of the disorders that fall into that category are epilepsy, neuromyotonia and the periodic paralyses. Unfortunately I don't know much else although I'd think a google search with your symptoms and VGKC may give you the info you're looking for.

?Best of luck to you!!

• Posted

Hi thank you for the response. The results did have a <1 at the end which from a maths perspective is only minus 1 so I'm hoping that means not that bad but, given its still been flagged as an issue in a test that was looking for anything to substantiate my symptoms, I'm guessing it is still something to worry about.

I'll keep you posted. I have nerve testing next Tuesday

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.