Voluntary ability to tense muscle in ear which extremely amplifies hearing

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi all,

I'll try and break up my story:

1. Myself:

My name is Liam, 15. I am curious about something i have been able to do at will for many years, which is tense/flex a muscle inside my ear (which is what i assume it is).

2. Backstory:

I think it must have started when my grandad taught me to wiggle my ears, which i know is a fairly common ability. However it was through trying to do this that i think i found out my "ability".

3. Explanation:

While i tense this muscle, everything from breathing, chewing, humming is made much louder than normal. This includes my heartbeat, which i am usually able to hear at will by tensing this muscle in my ear. Strange, right! Quick Note: would like to point out that humming makes a far louder noise than anything else, (used this to my advantage to block out chewing sounds, very sure i have misophonia).

Anyways, I was wondering if this is actually anything strange, or i am just exaggerating the situation. Looking forward to all replies!

Thanks again!

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

You have just discovered a quirky thing about your body . We all discover some quirky thing about ourselves as we grow up and young teenagers are especially adept at finding them

Dont worry about it as long as you dont have any pain or problem with normal hearing.

Do chewing sounds annoy you?They annoy a lot of people but it doesnt mean you have misophonia.

• Posted

I have a similar situation and, yes, it is related to making your ears move!

I have a little knowledge of anatomy and suspect that it is the tensing of a muscle connected to one of the ossicles.

I assume that this may have developed in humans (over millions of years) as a protective feature against sudden loud sounds.

Contrary to your experiences, when I consciously tense those muscles the effect is to attenuate the loudness of sounds I can hear.

I'd be very interested to hear if others have similar experiences and if a medically qualified authority can confirm my suppositions.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.